1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Australia and Japan

Discussion in 'Requests and Suggestions' started by poxcx, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Kiah

Kiah New Member

Perthian here: They actually sent me a tracking number. Thank god.

Delivery expected on the 21st by TNT. :D

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Finally !!! It arrived 17/1, well packed and in one piece.

Did the RTFM thing and set up Repetier to Robo settings. But still have not been able to get an ABS print to stick to the bed.

I am using a 5mm glass sheet with Kapton. First few layers stick fine then the extruder pulls it off the bed :(

Tried acetone, isoproypl and hairspray - but print still will not stay stuck.

3. Kiah

Kiah New Member

Is the heated bed on? Should be for ABS prints.

Also, make sure you've levelled the Z axis?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I am using the heat bed with recommended ABS temperature settings from the manual and yes, I have leveled the bed using a paper shim.

The print starts ok and the first few layers look good. Then the print is pulled off the bed.

5. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

You should start by using PLA and not ABS. Less variables you need to control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jimwahhh

Jimwahhh Member

I was hoping to start with PLA, that's what I was going to use the sample for (I bought a few spools of ABS about 6 months ago), but unfortunately my printer came with NO filament. Also it had the american Power cable and I have already had to do the Relay Mod to get the heated bed to stay on.

Shock horror I am still not that impressed by the Robo Team: months of delays, additional shipping costs and I still have to do a mod to get basical functionality on the 2nd day due to poor design. At least I have a functional printer now though.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I bought the printer for ABS prints. I realise that PLA may be easier. But is that really going to help sort out problems with printing ABS sticking?

I'm also having problems with the heatbed polyswitch cutting out. Seems like this is a very well known and very common quality issue.

And I do hope everyone is being REALLY carefull not putting little fingers under their ROBO. The mains wiring is very exposed and hazardous especially around the plug point and switch assembly.

8. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Ziggy, yes. Because printing with PLA versus ABS is essentially identical except you add some additional variables, such as the bed temperature.

9. cmanou

cmanou New Member

Finally got mine no sample filament :( , but they gave me a heated bed so can't really complain plus already have some filament anyways so I'm happy ​

10. Kiah

Kiah New Member

Printer arrived today. Glass not broken, and sample filament present. I think I won.

3 people like this.
  11. obzelite

obzelite New Member

got mine, with about a metre of pla. should have preplanned as now i cant do zip till i get some filament.
    only unboxed to check for breakages. thankfully double boxed as the courier dropped it on the floor when he came in.

12. poxcx

poxcx Member

Arrived :(

Broken :(

i think

Attached Files:

13. Kiah

Kiah New Member

That looks like the cable management thingy is a little bent, that's all?

Tried running it?

14. Jimwahhh

Jimwahhh Member

I'm not at home to check mine, but I think he might have been talking about what could be a snapped part at the base of the non-threaded rod. Can't remember what it looks like.

15. poxcx

poxcx Member

No i think the black plastic support piece for the smooth z axis rod is snapped where it goes from the block looking piece to the tube.

16. Peter

Peter Member

That smooth rod support is definitely broken.

Begin rant for my fellow countrymen in OZ.....

I was shocked by some of the major flaws in the printer, that smooth rod support is so weak, i can break it with my mind.

I'm basically rebuilding my printer slowly before really getting much use out of it. New wider 15mm acetal base board and y-axis sliders, machined delrin vertical rod supports etc, E3D hotend, going all out basically.

I'm still impressed with the value, and the community this product comes along with, but geez, you can tell these guys are beginner engineers and rushed some of the design out.

My mods are going to be expensive because I'm just like that, but only a few dollars more in the initial production cost would have made this printer perfect... It's great that they have kept an open source attitude, but i think they should have consulted a few professionals before committing to the design when they got so much backer money.

The entire top moulding basically does nothing, it doesn't support anything, nada, and would have been the most expensive tool to cut and part to inject, plus its an awful beige colour, bloody hell, haven't you guys heard of PMS cool grey 8?

Rant over for now. I Still love my robo 3D.

17. Jimwahhh

Jimwahhh Member

Feel your pain Peter, I am in two minds about the whole thing. On one side it is still quite a lot of printer for the price, and a good introduction to in inner workings while I fix/mod stuff but on the other hand pretty disappointed that I did not receive a working printer for my money.

Already I have spend $60 installing a relay because the bed would turn off after about 5 mins. Now it stays on but due to another design flaw the bed drops 10-15deg after a couple of minutes so I still can't get prints (ABS) to stick. That and the bed is warped I think.

Several little things that I want to mod which I am surprised weren't thought of in the design too. First up is an adapter to make the z-axis limit switch actually hit the end of the lever. Pretty unreliable homing (not helped by the warped bed). I think next up will be what you identified, the smooth rod supports. Either that or a replacement for the (obviously afterthought) spool holder.

As I said, I'm in the same boat. I am still a fan of the machine, but I suspect there will be more rants in the future.

18. Peter

Peter Member

I think the thermocouple/thermister on the bottom of the bed could be partly to blame, that type of thermo couple isnt ideal for surface mounting to a flat piece of glass, its just held in contact (almost no surface area) with kapton tape on mine.

I'm going to 'glue' it to the glass with some hi-temp epoxy (muffler repair compound or similar) at some stage.

Even just a blob of window silicone will be much better, as long as the thermistor is still touching the glass.

19. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

What concerns me, since I have not received my printer yet, is that Robo is not adding these fixes for future printers sales.

It's just like that Microsoft mentality where MS sends out a their software into the world and wait for users to let them know what the bugs are and then charges those users for a working upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Jimwahhh

Jimwahhh Member

If only it were. Another User (Ziggy) with the same issue monitored the temp with an IR thermometer. Investigation into it is still under way. At least the Robo3D team are looking into it as well though.