1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3D profile for Robo R2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Charles Billette, Jun 2, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Heck I don't even use any startup GCode block any longer in my profiles. I moved what I did want to keep into the OctoPrint profiles for each printer. Still slice with S3D though. No beating that for quality and speed.

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Found this:

As far as startup Gcode goes I've moved the one from the R2's octoprint into S3D / Cura and adapted to preheat using the temperatures set in the profile.

Octoprint runs the startup Gcode before having any idea of what temps you're going to print at, and it was driving me crazy to preheat at generic temps that are never correct.

JeffreyB and supercazzola like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

nytcrawlr, supercazzola and Kilrah like this.
  4. tmshaw

tmshaw New Member

Just got Simplify3d and need to configure it. Read this thread. So, what is the consensus regarding an R2 profile? I found the two config files in the thread (Ed's and the official one) but it seems like people have gone through and made manual changes to those profiles?

Can someone post their current Robo R2 config file?

p.s. I don't know anything about gcode or what to delete from the code to not get the double bed levelling etc. that are talked about in the thread.

5. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Here's the profile I've been using with rigid.ink PLA, which likes printing cold. You'll probably have to adjust the nozzle and bed temperatures for other PLAs, but other than that it should work fine. This profile includes post-processing to control acceleration in various parts of the print, so that the first layer and outer perimeters print well, while the infill prints fast.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

supercazzola and Ed Ferguson like this.
  6. tmshaw

tmshaw New Member

Thank you! I will give this a try.

7. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: this profile is tuned for 0.1mm layer height. If you want to print at 0.2mm or larger, I'd make the first layer height 100% instead of 200%. Have fun!

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you go through the videos for S3D that show you how to get started with it?
    You need to make sure there is nothing in the startup GCode block for the process in S3D if you don't want to do double-leveling.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also, the training is a good idea because the process/workflow for slicing and printing is significantly different in simplify3d than other free slicers.

10. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Here's the Simplify3D profile I'm currently using with my R2. I've defaulted to a 0.16" layer height as a compromise between quality & speed.

I'm willing to bet sgomes and I use pretty much the same settings, but try both profiles if you have time. I recently tuned mine for their version 4 which came out recently and I'm happy with the results. The bridging (see Benchy upper doorway and portholes) is much better than the prior version.

Of course you'll want to experiment with hotend temperature based on your filament. I printed the Benchy below using MakerGeeks silver PLA.

Benchy_Robo_R2_Simplify3D.jpg

Attached Files:

11. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Ooh, I'll definitely have to take a look at those settings, then :) Thanks for sharing, Ed!

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Okay, I think I am using @Ed Ferguson's S3Dv4 profile and just wondered why the skirt is two layers high?

I am printing Deprime with this setup and MESH leveling on the R2, will post a picture shortly after a print is done.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Mostly stock settings in the firmware. The only change to the S3Dv4 process was to change the skirt to 3 and only a single layer. This is eSun orange PLA.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson, Ed Ferguson and Geof like this.
  14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Been playing a bit more with this time, Ed's R2 S3D profile, I guess before I was using Sergio's profile. I had to reinstall everything on a new PC so I figured I would test a few things. Plus, I needed to print four screw spacers for a tilt TV mount. Will post a picture shortly. I did tweak a few settings based on a few of my preferences and the fact that I am 5 mm shorter in Z build height than a stock R2.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

A few issues, my Z offset is too tight it's off about 0.06 mm. The bottom half of the print was fubared because I had a screw under the printer and it was teetering on it so the printer was shaking all over the place. Not bad a print considering it shook like a dryer with a lopsided load. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

My profile was 0.1mm by default, but the skirt was only one layer high. Still, probably could use some tweaking, yes :)

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Modified the profile a bit more, added PETG to the profile and tweaked the 1st layer, for me, it should have been at 100% but for some reason every one over-extruded the bottom layer. Increased the perimeters to 3 to stiffen up the outside shell. Increased first layer speed. Changed the infill so that the outside layer is at an angle (60°) instead of straight across (90°). Turned off Machine Definition and Update Firmware settings. Since I am using Marlin 1.1.5 for the R2 (custom) which already has lower acceleration settings baked in, there is no need for any of the post processing in the scripts tab, they have been removed. Increased print speeds.

One of the few things I do not like about using multiple filament types in a single profile since the temperature dialog is universal rather than filament specific.

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Indeed annoying. I tend to use "PLA" profile and just adjust temps and speeds for most filaments unless its crazy different then I make a different .fff :D. I hate playing the what temp did I use last time game :D

19. flyboy787

flyboy787 New Member

I have attached the profile from Simplify3D that they gave me.

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  20. Don Anderson

Don Anderson New Member

Mark - Do you also have a profile for the R1+ to use with S3D? Downloaded your C2 already but would like one for R1+ also. Thanks in advance.