1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

ah see ive been using the auto ubl. using this:

M502 ; Reset settings to configuration defaults...
    M500 ; ...and Save to EEPROM. Use this on a new install.
    M501 ; Read back in the saved EEPROM.

M190 S65 ; Not required, but having the printer at temperature helps accuracy
    M104 S210 ; Not required, but having the printer at temperature helps accuracy

G28 ; Home XYZ.
    G29 P1 ; Do automated probing of the bed.

G29 T ; View the Z compensation values.
    G29 S1 ; Save UBL mesh points to EEPROM.
    G29 F 10.0 ; Set Fade Height for correction at 10.0 mm.
    G29 A ; Activate the UBL System.
    M500 ; Save current setup. WARNING: UBL will be active at power up, before any `G28`

2. AntiReality

AntiReality New Member

Are you issuing these commands via terminal, a configuration file, or using it in your slicer software as Gcode startup?
    What is the purpose of your fade height command?
    Updated to 1.1.5 with UBL only on the R1+ and gave it a PID tune. Just looking for the proper settings for it to print successfully now.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Fade height is a function of the adjustments needed to level the bed. If you are off for example 1 mm from one corner to another of a print the fade height of 10 mm will split that height difference so that it will adjust 0.1 mm per mm of Z height.

4. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

I issue it thru cura

5. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Question. I was using the old RC5 firmware with mesh for the longest time. I have had zero issues with it. Anyway i put the newest firmware here on my other printer but still using mesh leveling. I noticed with the newest firmware mesh is a little different and now has a option in the menu for set z offset that says -1.00 .The old mesh never had this .Can i just set this to 0.00 and use it like the old mesh? Also why is the default -1.00 .I thought anything above the bed was positive now?

6. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

WADZOQUADZ-

Could you post your Configuration.h file?

I'm trying to use Marlin 1.1.5 with #define MESH_BED_LEVELING and #define LCD_BED_LEVELING

I'm stuck in the Mesh creation loop and can't exit.

I'm using the LCD menu to create the Mesh. After adjusting Z on the last point and pressing the knob, it Homes XYZ, then displays "Click to Begin". No way to exit - I'm stuck in in the Mesh creation loop.

7. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I just leveled it but havent printed yet until i find out about the question above. It seemed to work though. Maybe just try reflashing the firmware. I used the 1.1.5 here that Waldo posted and just modified it by turning off ubl and uncommenting Mesh leveling and LCD bed leveling. I am using the Full graphics LCD,maybe thats why no problem? I didnt change anything else besides the MBL Z step to .01

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes you can set it to 0

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson I was pretty sure the loop was an a previous version like 1.1.3 not 1.1.5

10. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Thanks .So it works the same as old mesh if set to zero but now has a built in option on the LCD to fine tune it quickly? Im guessing it just moves the whole mesh plane up or down. Up is still positive right?

As far as the 1.1.5 mine finished the leveling process and saved with a M500. I did look it up though and some of these versions do get stuck in the occasional loop sometimes. I would reupload and reflash the firmware and if it still goes to a loop then reset and try til it works.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As far as I recall

12. Ed Ferguson

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and you now start to see the problems with their development approach :)

Geof and Ed Ferguson like this.
  14. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

Ed are you using MBL or UBL?

I apologize if you've said before, but from my research I've found that this is happening in MBL. I've used UBL now since day one with no issues.

15. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

And hopefully they'll stop trying to go 32bit with the new einsy board being available.

16. Ed Ferguson

anngeelow81 - I'm trying to use Marlin 1.1.5 with #define MESH_BED_LEVELING and #define LCD_BED_LEVELING

Basically, I need this printer to be able to operate completely un-tethered from a PC. That includes setting up the bed (even if it's just a one-time setup).

If UBL can do that, please let me know. But my understanding is they created the LCD menu for Mesh because it does not require a PC to level & save the result. However, it runs in an endless loop (at least for some users) with no way to exit. It just keeps going back to the start rather than exiting to the Main Menu when finished. The issue appears to be intermittent - it sometimes will work as expected.

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/7912
    https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/7491

I used Mesh on earlier versions of Marlin (pre UBL) and it worked great.

#196 Ed Ferguson, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Einsy is Prusa who is doing their own thing with Marlin. Direct Marlin is ran by a bunch of different people doing different things (chaos). If Marlin devs want 32. rain or shine there will be 32 coming lol.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson I am using mesh on the R2 but since it does not have a smart controller I have never seen this issue, my R1 is in a box right now unused. I am not in a position to unbox it and test at the moment.

Of course on the R2 you have to do it on the terminal screen of OctoPrint, but that is the same as being tethered.

19. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I mesh leveled mine like 3 times with 1.1.5 with no loop issue. Are you using full graphic lcd? If not that may be where the problem lies. I however went back to RC6 for now though because i needed the printer up and running and with 1.1.5 i couldnt get the z offset to work right. It seemed to either be too close to the bed or too high and didnt seem like the offset adjustment was working accurately, As soon as i went back to RC6 i was up and running perfect in no time

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

All I can suggest to you guys if you are seeing this is to report it by opening or adding comments to an open issue. Not sure you will see any response other than try the bugfix version, that is the developers usual response to these issues. Once 1.1.6 releases I will mod that one up and we shall see.