1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin for the R2 - MESH Enabled

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Sep 10, 2017.

?

Would you like to see MESH enabled for the R2/C2?

1. Of course!

18 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Not really

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Why are you wasting your time with this? Meh.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Robo uses a version of Marlin that is a few revisions back. Do not be mislead by their numbering system. Robo's current 1.1.8 version is actually just modifications to 1.1.0 RC6/RC8. The current release of Marlin is 1.1.6 and includes a lot of updates to the MESH code as well as other improvements. I think we could all benefit from the newest Marlin revision. I started working on this but it is a lot of work undoing a lot of the code that Robo appears to have changed (my own opinion, with little to no value toward reliability or performance). This is a plain, modified only where required by the hardware version of the current Marlin release. If you are interested in this too please vote. If you want to help with testing, I can make sure you know how to upgrade the firmware and downgrade back to the Robo release.

Current version of the source and .hex files:

#1 WheresWaldo, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Please note this is a work in progress (WIP) and is not officially sanctioned by Robo3D. Please use at your own risk. I make no warranty that it will work for you and your printer. All I can guarantee is that it compiles with the current version of the Arduino IDE. This is only the .hex compiled binary file. You will need to know how to flash this file yourself. Extract the file from within the archive file.

File removed to account for necessary changes.

#2 WheresWaldo, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

After playing with Robo's GITHUB all weekend long, I have come to the personal decision that I can no longer recommend that anyone use the source code located there for upgrading the R2/C2. There are just too many self-inflicted errors within the source code that will render your printer inoperable. Robo Official version 1.1.7 (Marlin 1.1.0 RC8) appears to be the last version that actually works. I have tried numerous revisions from the 'OFFICIAL' GITHUB repository and all do not compile correctly, nor are usable once uploaded to the printer.

I will continue to work on this version to make it a reliable alternative firmware.

4. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Wow, thanks for all the firmwares, @WheresWaldo! Does the UBL version have any advantages over this, or should we just stick to MESH from now on? Haven't had a chance to test things yet.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am still not convinced that UBL is better than MESH, but at some point the Marlin devs want to get rid of MESH. So, it might be in everyone's best interest to learn how to use UBL.

Personally I am going to go to UBL kicking and screaming since my own personal opinion is that UBL takes a very simple and well thought out leveling scheme (MESH) and makes it incredibly complicated. I have tried to explain that to the Marlin devs on numerous occasions but they are not endusers, they are programmers and have no idea how to build a firmware that an enduser would be comfortable with.

Please note that your experience may differ from mine and there are quite a few happy UBL users, I just don't count myself in that group.

Park A. and sgomes like this.
  6. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Got it, thank
    Got it, that's very helpful :) Thanks for the thorough explanation!

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Fixed a few issues with end stops and now homes Z axis in the back corner of the bed. Extract .hex file from archive before use.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Reworked all the acceleration values and the Jerk values. Virtually eliminates all ringing without resorting to post processing the g-code scripts. Also changed the homing location and sped up the entire process. It now homes in the upper back left corner so you don't have to send the print bed all the way down to the bottom of travel just to home it.

Park A. and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am going to steal that for my C2

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It should be a simple conversion to the C2, change the MB to point to use pins_ROBOC2.h, change the printer dimensions & heated bed define in Configuration.h, I think that's it. All the changes from unmodified Marlin are commented either // [robo] or // [BH] depending on who made the actual change.

Also note that my pins files differ from the Robo ones as they are still using Marlin 1.1.0 RC6/8.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Steal it in a few minutes I forgot to edit a couple of lines.

Done and done!

#11 WheresWaldo, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Stolen. ;)

I am pondering if I want to continue loading the firmware from the Pi or add a USB host switchbox and be able to connect the PC. Probably the former.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have been loading it from the web interface without issues. Believe me when I tell you that while I test I probably update about 20 - 30 times in a row.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. robert trama

robert trama New Member

Does the R2 Mesh setup work the same way as it does for the R1?

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Very similar but I don't mess with M851. Instead I use M206 to set a home offset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

robert trama and Geof like this.
  16. robert trama

robert trama New Member

i don't remember having to use either one of those commands when i set up my r1, looks like its back to the tutorial page for me

17. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I’m confused. Are these only for R2 that had the hot end modded , or will this work on stock R2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Both :D

supercazzola likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

accel and Jerk are in set in Robos firmware for movements. If you issue those codes and save it it will slow down to give a better print quality (google accel and jerk settings and what they do for 3DP)

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and they need tuning on any Robo printer :)

Geof likes this.