1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New build plate assembly?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Redriche, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Redriche

Redriche Member

So I got an email about my Pogo Pin board today, "I going to get an order for a new bed set up for you which will eliminate the pogo connection. And also send you new pogo pins in the mean time since the bed is on back order."

Anyone know what this new bed set up is? Or am I the first?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is actually good news. They had said they were going to redesign this to eliminate the pogo-pin problem. You might be the first of a new breed :)

Geof likes this.
  3. Redriche

Redriche Member

Well, they said it's on back order. So not sure how long it will take. I replied to the email and asked. We'll see what they say. Once I do get it I'll take pics or do a video on replacing it if I'm the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

When I was out there visiting with them, they said they redesigned the board to eliminate the pogo pins. I wonder if that now means the bed is no longer removable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

More likely they went to a different connection style.
    Not saying they wouldn't do like they did on the R1 and simply make it non-removable, but it is less likely given the partial enclosure that they have on the R2... you still need to be able to remove the bed.

6. Docdead

Docdead New Member

I'm making a video on mine that I received today. They just replaced the POGO connection with a direct connection on the new bed. The new buildtak surface adheres really really really well... Maybe too well... I think I need to adjust my Z home up a little. I also cut the zip tie that holds the connection wire for the bed so that I can more easily take the new board in and out of the R2 and disconnect it as needed.

7. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

Look forward to the video of the new build plate, I have issues with the pins every now and then when i have to calibrate the plate.

8. Docdead

Docdead New Member

Here is my video of the new BuildTak Hot Bed from Robo for my R2. If you get one, be better than me. Don't ruin it :D

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  9. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I would prefer if they rebuilt the bed and added clips for a glass plate. But I prefer glass to anything else. Or Prusa's new magnetic plate that's flexible would be nice to try.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  10. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Not happy with that change.
    I have literally hundreds of prints on the PEI surface and nothing to complain about. I have another printer that uses BuildTak and it's been a major pain, with frequent replacement of the expensive sheet needed. Some materials need extremely precise Z offset / first layer thickness with it, a bit too high and they don't stick but a bit too low and they fuse with the BuildTak so much they it's impossible to remove them without tearing the sheet apart. Even without that it wears out relatively quickly and needs replacement after maybe 20 prints or so.
    So as you showed in your video you WILL ruin it regularly and it's another expense to deal with.

Obviously now when my nice and reliable PEI bed finally wears there won't be replacements without hunting down people's old beds and hoping they actually want to part with them and didn't revert to using them :mad:

Not happy with the connector either given how well my solution works.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  11. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Removing prints sure looks like a hassle. At least the screws are now exposed. Maybe someone will come up with a bolt-on surface that is more robust and cost effective. Seems like a glass overlay with clips held in the existing screw holes would be OK. Maybe Robo wanted to avoid glass due to the education market and shipping concerns, but I've always been happy with the R1+ glass surface. Of course the heater may not be able to heat both the aluminum plate and a glass top.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

remove the build tak and put the PEI on it @Kilrah :D. No worries there, should work just fine. @Warp Norman reach out to buildtak and ask them about their flex plate system and see if they have one in the works for the R2. @Ed Ferguson 3 R1+ machines- all broken glass, chipped glass etc. Alot of users experienced this and print on float glass now, I could see why they moved away ;). I run buildtak on my larger printers (now thats expensive sheets) and as long as your careful with what your doing and get that first layer right they do last a very long time (month 4 on my Type A that runs daily). Some materials printing on buildtak you really need some glue down to prevent the material from fusing to the build plate.

All that said- I also perfer printing on glass but am anxious to see the new beds.

13. Hanover

Hanover Member

So is this BuildTak plate their final solution to their bed? I think the flex plate system would have been a lot better.

#13 Hanover, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  14. Hoa

Hoa New Member

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Final for now i spose. Even buying new machibes most dont supply the flexplates at base retail. Upgrade add ons. Also lose build height ;)

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

17. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

Prusa's new removable build plate looks good. Shouldn't loose any z height plus it's flexible. PEI powder coated spring steel with 25 embedded magnets to hold it in place.

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im sure it will work great, but you have to remember they invented that. Likely wont distribute it in sizes like buildtak does ;)

19. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

Understood, was meant more as an example of what the future brings. Actually, I believe he is getting a very low yield rate of those plates in manufacturing. He doesn't expect to have extras for sale until he improves the process.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hes open source. His machines are his priority he puts thr how to out there for others. Keep in mind longevity on new items hasnt been proven yet

Prime example type a build tak system melted down. Each special system needs tested on the equipment prior to roll out :)

The adhesion sheets are neat but much better things are coming than that ;)