1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dull Print Bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gary Fellows, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Gary Fellows

Gary Fellows New Member

Robo R2 I have is 1 week old.
    Shiny bed is shiny no more. Used flat scraper over 6 or 7 prints and shine gone.

Looks awful, but is this a problem?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No, as long as it isn't gouged or ripped up in any way.

3. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

You can polish the PEI for a glossy finish, or use some 2000 grit sandpaper over the entire bed to create nice, matte finish parts. Personally, I do not like glossy finish, unless the entire part is glossy. I always print matte.

4. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

You can always use some Magigoo works nicely for PLA, once the bed cools it just pops off. Or my favorite is unscented AquaNet, clean your bed with acetone as this will help remove all the finer printed particles that have not been scraped off. Follow that up with IPA 70% or higher to get it nice. Spray your main print area with the AquaNet lightly, let it dry and it will be ready for PETG prints.

Use nippers/wire cutters to remove stubborn prints. I will use a cake spreading knife or the scraper from Robo as a bed protector, so when I push up with the wire cutters nothing is touching the bed. If that makes any sense? ;) All the force from the nippers goes on to the metal tool instead of the PEI directly.

In general though I never have much trouble getting things removed gently by hand. PEI is not my favorite surface, works great for some things but since my prints have a much larger surface layer it can cause problems if I don't coat it with something. (I will admit I use borosilicate 95% of the time or more on all my PEI machines)