1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Click and Snapping Sounds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Echoshard, Jun 30, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

R2 and C2 gantry are designed identically. The only difference is the physical size. If they have instructions with pictures I would use those.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

C2/R2 gantry are pretty much the same except for size (rod length)

Geof likes this.
  3. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Well, the tutorial sent to me from Robo was very good. It walked me right through the entire process and didn't take very long to change the bearings out. Got it all back together, fired it up, loaded some filament and started a print job. Print job is doing fine as always, but left to right is still clicking. This being my first 3D printer, I'm dependent on those that know much more than I do, but I had a feeling going into this that the bearings weren't the problem. Clearly they weren't. I've already written robo back on our email exchange so we'll see what they say when they reply.

4. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I've had this exact issue 4 friggin times now.
    It's annoying. I did loosen the set screw on the axis that was making the clicks and moved the gear a fraction of a mm away from the edge of the printer and that temporarily made the noise stop. The issue is, a few prints later, the noise would appear again, but on a different axis / rod.

it's disappointing.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I know mine came with the gantry way out of whack. The box got bounced around (apparently someone played rugby with it, grudge match style).

It is not terribly difficult to realign it, but it is a pain in the rear. Not what you expect to have to deal with on a new printer.

6. supercazzola

Mine is definitely at the end by the spacer and washer. I will try to repair it yet again, but honestly, it is a design flaw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The gantry will click (all gantry designs- including the R2) if the gantry is not perfectly square. I honestly dont see it being a bearing thing and just moving one pulley will likely never get it square again. All four corners must be square and to each other.

Robo instructions I found with a quick google search:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2532723

jwmueller likes this.
  8. supercazzola

I should be clear, by moving the set screw for the belt, it allows the Q-tip with oil to get where it needs to be. I find once the area has some oil, it stops.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What are you oiling? Where the timing pulley sits? If so that pulley is not tightening down correctly (it cant move or make noise if it is) if its the bearing that holds the rod you need to change that 608 bearing (I believe its a 608)

10. supercazzola

The oil is getting under that black spacer and between it and the washer on the side of the unit.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not totally following you, are you able to snap me a picture of that? I dont have my R2 at the shop with me to take a peek.

12. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I am a bit over 600 hours now on my R2, according to the print history although some prints don't have any hours recorded.

My update to this story is that my gantry bearings are shot, my print quality has gone to near cheap clone levels. I have roughly 1mm of deflection at the nozzle if I gently push on it. I am going to replace the bearings on the extruder gantry and I will report back. What I am seeing is really poor layer repeatability, if I print at 80-microns it is a bit more tolerable but if I go to 150-microns it does look a bit crap and cheap. LOL

First thing I checked was to make sure my pulleys were not slipping, as the shifting between layers is pretty slight. Belts are fine, as are the bearings that hold the rods inside the machine case. I don't think it is anything more than play/slop in the head, I would think steppers or drivers would cause a much larger shift. Rule out the bearings first and see what happens. ;)

13. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

It is a flanged bearing, a standard 608 would not work. Just for reference see this listing (don't buy that bearing as I have not measured mine).

14. supercazzola

[​IMG]

See black spacer? There is washer to the left of it, along the inside of the outer wall

15. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Mine did not have any, I had to order some from eBay.

16. supercazzola

Any what? Spacers or washers?

17. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Washers - so in my case the spacers and pulleys could rub on both the inner and outer races of the bearings. Making a horrible sound!

supercazzola likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm with you now, thank you for that. If its clicking from there I'd think you'd need some new washers and spacer, it must be loose on the shaft causing it to "click". Is it tight up against the bearing and pulley or a bit loose?

19. supercazzola

tight... but some 3-in-1 oil fixed the clicking...

20. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Geof and WheresWaldo like this.