1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Newbie Installation guide

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Pang Zi Yang, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Pang Zi Yang

Pang Zi Yang New Member

Hi guys,

Just got my e3d extruder... Any newbie guide I can follow to install my E3D hot end? Having troubles with the wiring

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Check Melody's FAQ at melodybliss.org/robo3d as well as the installation guide at E3D.com. I'll get both linked off of the purchase page on my site tonite.

3. Pang Zi Yang

Pang Zi Yang New Member

Hi,

how do i connect the active fan to the power supply underneath?

4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

5. Chas

Chas Member

Word of advice. DON'T tighten it too much or the screw connecting the heat sink and the heating block will snap.

3 people like this.
  6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

7. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Got mine installed today, wasn't too bad. If there was good instructions, it could easily be done in an hour. The research takes longer than the swap.

8. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Same here. Took me a while ti figure it out. Did not come with any instructions or link.

9. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

And anything on here about it just linked to Melody's page, which would be great...but I get an error when I go to it so it was no help to me.

Printing awesome now though. Long story short, its an easy swap if anyone is thinking about it. I would have stayed stock but mine failed so I just upgraded.

My temps did change, I had to go hotter to get good prints. Im at like 210 on PLA now.

10. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Racegrafix, what error did you get?

11. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Something about google. I don't want to check it right this sec, because its hard to X it out and close the window...and I am an hour into a print. Ive never seen that error before, and I have been to the page a couple days ago with no problems. It didn't give an error code, just said something about report was being sent to google about the problem.

Edit: Doesn't work on phone either, but no error. It goes to redirect but you cant get past that.

12. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Melody, just for the heck of it, I checked too. Works fine on chrome, but on IE it comes up with a truly obnoxious error box that says 'this error has been reported to google' that just keeps coming back when you close it.

Guys, seriously, the documentation is pretty easy to find on the E3D site! http://e3d-online.com/Documentation

13. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Those instructions i could find...that part was very easy. Then came wiring...which was easy but had to research it. Then had to figure out how to take old one off. Then how to update firmware...etc. just a lot of searching.

2 people like this.
  14. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

hrm. Odd. It's just a simple redirect. I'm essentially telling the URL to redirect to a google specific one. Only thing I can think of is that it doesn't like the fact it's redirecting to a site not under melodybliss.org. I unfortunately cannot check IE since I'm on a Mac, but the redirect is working fine under Chrome, Safari and Firefox. My guess for IE is it's trying to protect you from an "unsafe" website. Never mind that it's a standard HTTP redirect embeded in the web page. :p

15. Printed Solid

Staff Member

it's actually not having trouble with the redirect. It goes there fine, but chokes when it gets to the google docs page.
    maybe it's just microsoft preventing people from using Google docs over word.

16. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

It worked fine this weekend.

17. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Wouldn't surprise me, having worked at the Evil Empire(tm) ;) I joked I got my soul back and it was only slightly stained. I did UNIX for them. :) Now I work at a small fruit company that doesn't sell much fruit. Some say they're the new evil empire. :p