1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered R1 plus Solidworks model

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Freshtek, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Freshtek

Freshtek New Member

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if any of you know where I can find a 3D model (solidworks preferably) of the R1+. I've downloaded Mike Kelly's solidworks model of the Robo 3D, but it seems like the R1+ is slightly different. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for the entire assembly of the printer, not just the case. Thanks.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is none

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope there is not, just the Mike Kelly version of the R1. I'd suggest reaching out to robo for what you need (I dont think they have it or they would have released it). What exactly are you looking for. Many of the R1 parts are the same as the R1+

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

They have their own internal CAD models, but why would they share them? The only "open source" side of Robo is general knowledge of who manufactured what components other than the plastic frames they used for it (and the use of Marlin to run it).

As for the OP, the only thing that changed from Mike Kelly's version is the stepper/leadscrew used on the Z-axis and the "quick change" plate on the X-axis carriage.

5. Freshtek

Freshtek New Member

I'm looking mainly for the hotend carriage assembly, it seems the R1 plus has a bigger stepper motor so i'm assuming some of the other parts on it our different as well. I messaged robo, but i'm not really expecting them to give me what i'm looking for.

6. Freshtek

Freshtek New Member

I measured the stepper motor of the hot end/extruder carriage on Mike kelly's robo3d model and it's a different size from the r1 plus. I'm assuming the other parts on the carriage are going to be different sizes too. I'm not all to sure what things changed from the r1 to the r1 plus.

7. daniel871

The motor may be a different size for torque/power consumption reasons, but it would still be a NEMA 17 motor.

Same, standard bolt mounting pattern.

8. Freshtek

Freshtek New Member

The motor Is physically bigger though, and I think that the parts that hold the motor are bigger as well. I'm going to design something around the carriage assembly i need the dimensions to be accurate. I'll have do some more measurements when I get home so I can be sure.

9. daniel871

I'm 99% certain that Robo didn't substitute in a motor that wasn't NEMA 17 on the Plus, but since you're in Solidworks anyway why don't you take measurements and model it yourself?

Kilrah likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Its the exact same nema 17 as the other steppers (x and Y) (the Z is integrated lead screw). You can use that extruder assembly. I have printed and used it and its fine.

11. Freshtek

Freshtek New Member

If I wanted to model the whole assembly myself I wouldn't have asked if there was one out there in the first place.

Geof likes this.
  12. Freshtek

Freshtek New Member

Thanks for the response. Do you know if there were any changes on the extruder carriage from the R1 to the R1+ ?

13. daniel871

I figured one good "I'm not listening to what you're explaining to me" post deserved another.

14. Freshtek

Freshtek New Member

It's not that I wasn't listening, but maybe I didn't understand what you had originally said like I said I measured the part on my motor and it was different from the cad model on Mike Kelly's Robo R1. I'm not familiar with Nema motors standards.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The only change is the quick release I believe the rest is the same.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The quick release is under the extruder and above the X plate. So not really an issue.

Geof likes this.