1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heated build chamber

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by BjG, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That would be great. I own an Alibre license, but have access to a SolidWorks and AutoCAD license, so I can convert files into formats that different people can work with if the Robo team can't readily provide us something that is CAD neutral.

2. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Wouldn't it be easier just to do a clear vinyl tent? You'll end up keeping in the same amount of heat.

3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

You could, but some of use also what to use the heated chamber for ventilation as well, it would be harder with vinyl, if you just wanted to keep heat in, that would probably work.

4. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Not really. You use the same construction design as softboxes found in any photographer's studio. Which naturally has a hole in the back for lamp venting to keep the bulb from over heating during high volume photo shoots.

The other advantage if in a tighter space environment when you don't need it it is easier to roll up and put out of the way.

5. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Do you have a picture example of this you could post?

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I had a jury rigged variation of a vinyl tent prior to building my big ugly box. It worked pretty well and got me up and running quickly while I had time to build something.
    I think the idea here is perhaps to come up with something that adds to the cool factor. Otherwise, you can just get a big rubbermade tote and drop it over the top while its printing:).

7. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I think it's a must to be able to see your object while its printing. This way you can see if the print goes bad and can stop it to save filament... Plus I have a feeling I'm going to want to watch it print for 8hrs strait.

8. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Cool factor I get, but just how essential is a cover system? I have been reading a lot of other advice/forums/suggestions and the heated box is not a huge topic anywhere else. Matt, you are our sole connection to this in any practical sense. PLA is fan-cooled and nylon is way sticky which leaves ABS warpage and isn't that why we bought the heated beds? Man. Am I ready for a delivery!

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Cover is absolutely necessary for ABS. Not needed for PLA. I'm not sure about nylon, but I've heard its not needed.

The HBP is required for the ABS to stick. You may be able to work around this with the ABS paste on small parts, but you're going to have issues with bigger parts.

The cover is to prevent too much part shrinkage/warpage for larger parts. For small parts, you can probably get away with simply putting a barrier around the side. Even with my enclosure and a HBP, my supports, which are just 1 shell, warp like crazy. I think you really need to get up to 70C for perfect ABS printing.

I personally like ABS. I like being able to vapor polish and solvent weld and I like the opacity of the color choices I've purchased better than any of the PLA I've seen. BUT, but there are A LOT of people that bought Makerbot Replicator 2s and are only running PLA that are perfectly happy. If I were in the position of buying this as my first machine, I probably wouldn't sweat the enclosure or HBP much. Run PLA for a while to get comfortable with the machine, then upgrade to ABS capabilities when you want to try a new material.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

At what size do you think the slurry method will begin to fail. We have at least a 10 x 10 x 8 printbed. Where is the breaking point, where the end of a print ends up lifting off the bed Also are we generally talking a single dimension that lifts or is it both dimensions. For example an Galaxy S III case is roughly about 3" x 5.5" x .4" Do you think something like this is likely to lift. I am asking because I have been looking at different blogs and heated chambers don't seem to come up a lot. I could be just missing something but I am curious where things start failing.

11. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

People do use heated build chambers, and they do work, but the problem is that they are patented by stratasys so people can't sell them or make their printers with them, all thought the new makerbot 2x has covers that go on the side and over the top, My guess is that they are paying stratasys to do that. I don't think a phone case would have much problems with lifting since it is thin, it's mostly larger prints that have the problem.

12. Printed Solid

Staff Member

The type of part where you're really going to see warpage is a large part with very thin walls. I'm not talking about corners peeling off the plate. That can be addressed reasonably well with ABS glue or hair spray.
    I'm talking about the walls buckling and warping. I'll try to find some stuff I haven't thrown away and post pics.

The slurry would work fine for your phone case. You could conceivably even print it without a heated bed.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree I have read about them also but I am curious at what size do failures start being seen. Is it mainly on long thin pieces or is it also seen on square pieces like 9.5 by 9.5. Does it matter if it is a tall piece. For example would a 1"x8"x3" piece lift where a 1"x8"x.25" would not.

I am not saying they are not needed in any way just was curious at what extent do most lifting issues start occurring.

This info may be helpful to others if they know that for the most part what they have in mind for printed objects won't be bigger than x by x by x they may not need one. Or if they happen to strayinto the questionable sizes maybe a temporary solution would work. For those who definitely know they will be having issues they can go for it.

In my ideas for example I do not plan on anything extremely large so I may choose a temporary enclosure only as needed.

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Printed that was exactly what kind of info I was looking for.
    Pics would be great
    Also reading your posts if I may ask what is the part you will be acetone welding together and how big is it. Just curious?

15. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Here are a few examples of issues you can see with inadequate enclosure temp. . Both are the same part. This is a pretty big part for my build plate. ~8X5X5. The Robo is bigger, so the problem will become more exaggerated.
    Top pic shows some cracks. Bottom pic shows how much thin materials can warp. Keep in mind that those supports are sandwiched between the 110C build plate and the part so they're probably actually fairly warm.

Just in case any of you are worried about me, I am going to fill in those cracks with some ABS paste and vapor polish, so no big deal this time.

I actually think my filament issue from a few days ago was due to a jam from mistakes I've made in the past, but at a 14hr build, I'm really not going to risk it, so I just let it run a little cold. I can fix some cracks and warped supports don't hurt me, but waking up to a half finished part with the nozzle just moving in air is awful!

2013-03-20 18.38.48.jpg 2013-03-20 16.52.51.jpg

2 people like this.
  16. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

17. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

We will have to convert it, I`m dong that now, I will upload the files in a couple min.

18. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Awesome. Thanks.

19. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

20. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Do you know what programs .dfx will work with? My primary software is Inventor Fusion. Not sure that is comparable. I won't be able to try until tomorrow morning.