1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hole in rocket on the nose

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Day Vid, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

I've tried printing this rocket twice. Both times I used the sprialize option in Cura. The second time I slowed down the print but it didn't seem to help. Everything looks good right until the end where the nose ends up with a hole. I suspect it's a settings issue and not hardware. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I print those pretty often, that tends to happen when the hotend is a bit hot or the minimum cooling layer needs adjusted

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Have not used Cura in a while, but look for a "Minimum Layer Time" setting and increase that to allow the layer to cool before another one is put down. Not sure what all has changed in Cura, no clue where that setting might have gotten off to :)

Day Vid and Geof like this.
  4. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

That's what I suspected. I've tried doing several things to mitigate; all yielded no benefit. I turned cooling fans up, spend more time over the print, slowed down the print. I'm attempting to print the modified fan shroud right now hoping that will help with cooling. If it's not too much trouble, if you are using Cura, could you post your settings for printing these rockets?

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont use cura with the R2 (hardly at all). I use Simplify 3d

6. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

Would it be possible for you to send me the g code file you made with Simplify 3d? If I can get it to print then I can confirm it's a settings issue.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ccan send it tomorrow when im back at the shop. Pm me

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Be prepared to need to edit the startup GCode depending on how @Geof has his configured. With OctoPrint on the machines I just leave it to handle the startup GCCode for that printer. Then regardless of slicer it is good to go.