1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New FFF style printer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mark tomlinson, Nov 29, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Help, I rolled my eyes so hard at the "printing automobile parts" bit that they got stuck!

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

?

Different article?

4. daniel871

Capture.JPG

AND

Capture.JPG

5. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

Actually, the part you quoted didn't specify printing automobile parts; the reference is to a "repair technician" with a 3D printer in a vehicle. Given that few auto mechanics do house calls, I took that to mean something like a photocopier repair person or maybe even a household contractor (electrician, plumber, etc.). A 3D printer that could quickly output a gear for a photocopier, exotic plumbing fixture, etc., could be very useful.

That said, cars are full of plastic parts, so a faster 3D printer could be useful in an auto repair shop, too. Today, I think they can often get things delivered the same day they're needed, but not always. (I've had to wait multiple days on parts more than once -- but IIRC, these have always been metal or electronic parts, so a fast 3D printer wouldn't have helped.)

6. daniel871

Doesn't stop people from constantly reading it the other way, given the first comment on the article that I also quoted.

These already exist and the "fast FFF" printer will probably be equally as expensive as existing printers, as the article specifically references commercial 3d printers when making comparisons.

The hobby-level printer in the article is misleading until you get to the "(not pictured!)" note.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I did not read that as printing automobile components either.
    Frankly, at some point your home will have a "replicator" built in and you'll just download bits/repair parts/whatever from Amazon and print them :)

Geof likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Lowes actually has/had am initiative to put 3D printers in all their stores. The idea was to have it there with a library of spare parts for stuff no longer in production. That way items they sold long ago could still get repair parts "on demand." Don't know if that initiative still exists.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Much similar to UPS putting them in "their stores" I imagine. Likely tried it small scale, realized its not feasible for all locations and left it at that to test further.