1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Interested in 3D Printed Flyable RC Airplanes

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Nov 16, 2017.

1. RSC

RSC New Member

At the cost of dimensional accuracy. Anything abrasive enough to polish the flats is going to take material off all the corners too. This is a sub-optimal solution, IMO at least...

SLA gives you prints that look like they've come out of a mold. You really can't hope for anything much better. The resins are the weak point, though. But like I said, I've seen incremental improvements in printed resin strengths over the last couple of years. If they continue on the current "glide slope" they'll be competing with ABS soon and exceeding that eventually. One of the new resins I'm experimenting with produces a print that is kind of like a cross between Nylon and Acrylic. It's fairly flexible to a point and then it snaps like glass. My only problem with it is that it's a little too soft.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I get it, you have a resin printer so you have a bias toward that technology. We are a long way from resins being a viable material that rivals polycarbonates or metals, which can be printed with SLS tech. I have a resin printer too but I know the limits and am not trying to convince myself that resin will ever be in a position where it can be used for structural or high stress parts.

3. RSC

RSC New Member

Well, I started with FDM when 3D printing was pretty new, I moved to resin when that technology became "affordable", and now I've bought a new FDM to upgrade that capability. And I also have a CNC. So i'm not inherently biased towards any of these rapid prototyping tools. They're each good at something the other isn't so good at. Which one I favor depends on what it is I need to do. But SLA has the easiest workflow. It produces accurate parts with excellent surface finishes. Cleanup is easy and if you're clever about orientation on the build plate there's very little post processing. The prints just aren't strong enough for some of my needs. SLS produces the strongest printed parts with a similar workflow (at a much higher cost, though) to SLA but the surface finish is poor. Parts might work great but the look terrible. CNC is produces the most accurate parts and depending on the material it can also produce the strongest parts (it's going to be a long time before I can print metal at home, but I can carve a block of aluminum or steel with a CNC). But CNC workflow is the most challenging. Particularly for complex parts. Fixturing and setup is a PITA. I'd buy an SLS system if one was within my budget. But even the least expensive is still a bit more than I want to pay for what is essentially a toy. I don't make money with these machines, I just make stuff I want to make...

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Pretty isn't everything ;)

Kilrah likes this.
  5. RSC

RSC New Member

Beauty may only be skin deep, but ugliness goes all the way to the bone.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Sorry, but you can't judge a book by its cover.

“I prefer to believe the opposite - that there is always an indestructible beauty at the heart of darkness.”
    Mary Balogh,A Secret Affair

RSC likes this.
  7. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Seems to be a broken link...

8. OutsourcedGuru

I wonder if there would be a way of printing in aerogel and then drying the entire model? Sounds like it would be optimal for printing model airplane parts. I worked with automated foam delivery at the manufacturing plant so it's potentially do-able.

What's difficult is budgeting one's known available time against the countless ideas: laser sintering of aluminum powder, mondo-large print volume with classic FDM, resin... or something FDM with many extruders?

Imagine a 3D printer that takes a used tire and turns it into a usable re-tread? You could customize the tread design and just print it in your garage. Basically, the X axis becomes the revolving of the tire on its axis and Y and Z behave as you'd expect with the extruder hanging above the 12 o'clock position. I'm thinking something like: http://www.hankooktire.com/global/images/news/2015/news-img-20150714-2.jpg or https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2wAvxQfusWU/hqdefault.jpg

https://newatlas.com/micro-laser-sintering-3d-prints-tiny-metal-parts/30115/

9. RSC

RSC New Member

It's shared out of my DropBox account. It should be publically accessible. Maybe access is being blocked at your end for some reason? Try right clicking and downloading instead of trying to view in-line maybe?

10. OutsourcedGuru

It works if you remove the final query string argument pair.

Here