1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New and novel way of reducing ringing and increasing print speeds

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Oct 20, 2017.

1. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Do your MESH and UBL builds have it enabled by any chance, @WheresWaldo?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No they do not. In my personal testing I didn't see much value in it if you are using an advanced slicer such as Simplify3D or Slic3r. As I said, you have to disable competing options in your slicer and even then if there are gains they are marginal at best.

3. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

No worries, just curious!

It'll be interesting to see where things go from here with slicers. I could imagine it being the case that linear advance eventually turns out to be an easier set of knobs to tweak, compared with the existing options. Time will tell, I suppose.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yes, it will be interesting. The Marlin Devs have always believed that anything doing with how you printer moves mechanically should be their domain. That is why they added things like LIN_ADVANCE and firmware retraction. They want slicers to just slice stuff, for the most part. But you can only pack so much code in an 8-bit Arduino.

Where Marlin will move forward is with their 32-bit implementation (Marlin 2.x) where they have tons of program space (relatively speaking) to add the features they want.