1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer Heats and Goes Through Leveling but Then Freezes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Adam Laird, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

My printer has gone through a lot in the last couple of months. The power supply broke itself and started frying the 7.5 amp fuse on the main board (I got a V2 replacement that is now working perfectly and is WAY quieter), I fried my second pogo board, and I just installed the V2 print bed.

Now that all the hardware seems to be functioning, the software seems like its gone out. As soon as my printer finishes the leveling check at the beginning of the print sequence, it locks up. It doesn't do the test line across the front of the bed or start the print. I can cancel the print, but I have to reset the controls using the utilities menu on the printer itself before I can get it to move back to the "home" position or do anything else (including cool down).

I have tried reinstalling the firmware (the 1.1.7 file I found on the support page) a few times, and tried pushing the gcode out with Cura, Octoprint, and by putting it on the USB. I have deleted and reinstalled Cura a few times and I have tried a number of different prints. Does anyone have any ideas about how to make it actually do the thing?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Usually when this happens a rewrite of the entire µSD image is what we suggest. There are currently too many points of failure in the workflow to really diagnose what might be causing the freeze. So generally we ask people to either rewrite a backup that they may have made when they got the printer, or contact support to get an image with your specific serial name inserted in the image.

Adam Laird likes this.
  3. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

Is that something I can do through the first level of support or will I need to make an appointment? And is that something I’ll need to remove the raspberry Pi’s SD for?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not sure if first level can handle it or not, give them a shout. Robo does have a method for sorting this now.
    The suggestion we have made (which most don't see until too late) is to backup the SD card in the Pi when you get the printer.
    Then reburning a new one is easy.

Either way -- yes -- you need to remove the SD card from the Raspberry Pi :)

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There are multiple ways to backup a µSD card with Windows I would recommend Win32DiskImager (current version 1.0).

LifeHacker has an article (Windoiws based) on how to do this https://lifehacker.com/how-to-clone-your-raspberry-pi-sd-card-for-super-easy-r-1261113524
    HowChoo has this easy guide for cloning the µSD in OSX https://howchoo.com/g/ztqymgezm2u/create-a-backup-image-of-your-raspberry-pi-sd-card-in-mac-osx
    This article include Linux instructions as well as Windows and OSX (command line) https://beebom.com/how-clone-raspberry-pi-sd-card-windows-linux-macos/

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ditto

7. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

I didn’t make a back up when I got the printer, but I will be sure to do it when I get the new image from Robo.

You guys are seriously the best. I’m totally new to all of the behind the scenes mechanics of printing and I’d lose my mind if it wasn’t for this forum.

Geof, mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.