1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print Creation App?

Discussion in 'Software' started by JoelDryden, Dec 12, 2017.

1. JoelDryden

JoelDryden New Member

I'm brand new to the 3D printer arena. I'm looking for creation software for prints, what is recommended? I've looked at Fusion360, will this work?

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Sure is one of the favorites.

3. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I use Autdesk Fusion 360 on a daily basis. There's a sharp learning curve initially, but it's great software.

4. JoelDryden

JoelDryden New Member

After a little more research, it appears Fusion 360, Blender, and SketchUp are the top three, with SketchUp having the lowest learning curve and reviews of being more intuitive.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

We use SolidWorks and Fusion360 (the latter mostly for the CAM features since CAM add-ons for SW are -- expensive)

6. OutsourcedGuru

This is me today in Autodesk Fusion 360, for what it's worth. At this level, there are annoyances in the menu ("browser"), for example, the scrolling at the bottom is dysfunctional. Adding some dummy/unused components at the end avoids this.

Other than this, it's a rather usable software for designing parts and exporting them as mesh files.

AutodeskFusion360.png

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

OSG, that's because you're a MAC user :D

8. OutsourcedGuru

On multiple occasions I have screamed bad things at this software. That jumping-around thing it does at the bottom is truly maddening.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Like I said, the Windows version does not behave in the manner you describe.

10. OutsourcedGuru

On multiple occasions I have screamed bad things at this software, as well. ha

11. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I'd suggest staying away from sketchup. It's just not meant for producing the water tight meshes we need for 3D Printing. Blender and Fusion 360 are both good for different reasons. Blender more for organic modeling/ mesh manipulation and fusion for engineering work where you're more interested in precision than a fancy shape. Blender isn't exactly stellar for water tight meshes either, but if you're putting in the work to learn it, you should be able to handle the extra little bit to get good meshes.

I'll also toss out TinkerCad and Morphi for easy beginnings, then selfCad for a next step after those two if you're intimidated by something like Fusion. I tend to use onshape for engineering design type work and meshmixer for my crude attempts at organic modeling.

JoelDryden and Geof like this.
  12. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Designspark Mechanical is another lesser-known free software package that has some pretty good features in it.