1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y Axis Bearing Alternative

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Nov 28, 2015.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yes it does i tried that. i think there is a kink/buldge in one of the rails.

I also took both rails off and tested the bearing mounts on them seperate, one of them always struggles to slide smoothly at the end of one rail. unless its positioned just right.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've bought some rails on Amazon for my home builds and had great luck and cheap

3. KTMDirtFace

I'll probably just go to linear rails if i feel like tinkering with this machine more :)

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The sigma has linear rails and honestly...it's amazing lol. My next build will have them.

5. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

Ok, sorry I did not put these up before.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1757148

That is my altered version. Also the mount holes intersect the bearing holes but due to the play I had no issues installing them. I elongated the mount holes in both directions. Hope this helps someone else. I made three different versions of this. In the end I feel my issue is my 8mm rods, I think they are slightly warped? But the "adjustability" of this version works.

-Steve

WheresWaldo and KTMDirtFace like this.
  6. Kewtdz

Kewtdz New Member

I ended up giving up on these bearings and switched back to stock because I couldn't get them to work. I do like the idea of using linear guides, has anyone successfully modified the Robo for this? I've looked at it and it seems I'd have to rebuild the entire print to pull it off.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A question for everyone that couldn't get his to work (please note mine work perfectly). Did you install them and just start printing or did you actually try to break them in first?

In some thread that I cannot find at the moment, I posted a gcode file that does nothing but move the extruder to near the bed limits, first in a square pattern then in an X pattern, then finally a square again for 100 repetitions each. I used it to help seat (break-in) the bearings properly.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Kewtdz

Kewtdz New Member

I did break mine in and they were super smooth until I reconnected the . I think the issue has to do with getting the belt aligned properly with the new height of the washers. I was using a printed washer as the space which may have been part of the issue too.

My issue was only at the end limits of the y-axis movement which resulted in enough binding to to cause the motor to miss steps significantly/grinding sound. The center part of the movement was smooth but due to the ends, I could even get through the auto-leveling procedure.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Kewtdz If your base looks like mine it probably has a curve to it. Acrylic was the wrong material for it, I got a piece of aluminum to replace it, but haven't had time to drill the necessary holes to mount it. I believe any curve in the acrylic base contributes to the binding some are seeing at the very end of travel on the Y axis.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  10. KTMDirtFace

I tried everything under the sun to get mine to work.

Yes broke them in, they were perfectly smooth on one at a time. as soon as they are connected in parallel to the two rods they bind/drag at the ends( mostly just one end for me and one rod seemed to be the culprit ). my guess is the rods are not straight I gave up the stock ones work fine.

My X axis ones work but it took a ton of tweaking and reprinting before they didn't bind at the ends.

11. Kewtdz

Kewtdz New Member

@WheresWaldo, I thought this may be the case too. I have some 1/4" MIC6 aluminum plate I just picked up yesterday and I'll have access to a Tormach PCNC 770 starting Friday so I am hoping to mill a new plate at some point. I'll have to give it another shot after I get the new plate installed.

12. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Does anyone have any other sources for these bushings? It appears that utilibots is out of stock and I'm itching to do this upgrade. I did Google the part number but no retailers came up.

13. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I don't know what it is about those bearings that makes them so popular or perhaps unpopular that they are always out of stock.

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  15. wickemu

wickemu Member

I just installed this Y replacement into my printer and so far it is working fantastically. It's SO much quieter, and so far my prints are as smooth as ever even without breaking them in. I did have a little trouble getting them to fit, because for some reason the blocks were holding the rods slightly more outward than the stock ones, but flipping the pillow blocks to the other side seemed to resolve that. Probably just a quirk with my configuration & calibration.

Now if only I could get the stepper motor to quiet down a bit too - I'm not sure that a damper is possible given its positioning.

Thanks for the excellent mod - up next, X carriage!

Wesley Knapp likes this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@wickemu If you have an R1 just get some new stepper drivers, the TMC2130 or TMC2100 steppers are perfect for this application and will quiet down the stepper considerably.

danzca6 likes this.
  17. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

19. wickemu

wickemu Member

Woah @WheresWaldo and @danzca6, thanks for that! I'll give that a look straightaway.

Though I'll keep any updates on that out of this thread since it'd drive it off topic.

#99 wickemu, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You may want to stick with a certified reseller instead of going with Chinese knock offs. I've read reports of some having issues with the ones off aliexpress and amazon. Mine should FINALLY be here tonight. USPS is not very efficient these days.