1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Michael Woodward This is a complete new firmware, beyond what Robo offers. They have frozen the R1 series at Marlin version 1.0.0 and this is based on Marlin 1.1.7. There have been a lot of changes and there are many more options enabled in this firmware than in the original Robo firmware. Both @danzca6 and I believe this version of the firmware makes all of the R1 series printers better. It is not endorsed nor comes from Robo. This firmware has been community driven.

If all you really want is what you mention in your post and nothing else then consider self modifying the Original Robo firmware.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward New Member

Increasing the bed temp is all i need right now. I have been reading through all the past post about this new Marlin firmware and in looking at some the additional options that this firmware offers and i can see there are a lot of additional improvements that i can benefit from. I am always looking to make things better and if i can increase the bed temp while preparing for multiple extruders in the process, great. I was just wanting to make sure i didn't need to make any additional hardware improvements to the R1 Plus prior to moving to this firmware.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Michael Woodward the maximum bed temperature set in this firmware is 150°C. Although the heater is capable of reaching this temperature, it is practically impossible to get that high. As small as the actual heating element is on the R1 series it will simply take too long and probably error out trying to reach 150°C. It will reach 110°C easily and maintain that temperature as well, reality is that I have never needed that high a bed temperature for any materials the R1 series is capable of printing.

#283 WheresWaldo, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ditto.

5. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward New Member

I just need to get it to 110 in the short term.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  8. Avrution

Avrution Member

Quick(ish) question. I flashed to 1.1.7 and have been trying to tune my prints, when I went back and reread about how the printer now wants M851 instead of M565, which might explain why nothing has been changing when I have tried to adjust the Z-offset.

Does the M851 only apply to the printer directly, or do the M565 commands that are in the Gcode also do nothing? I still had the old offsets in all my print codes.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The M565 does nothing with the newest Marlin's So remove it from the start up G-code. M851 is the way you must proceed.

10. Avrution

Avrution Member

Thank you. Quick follow up (Figured out the Z offset)

Now I am only getting a single point of calibration before the print. I left everything how it came with UBL enabled, but thought it would have more points done?

#290 Avrution, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

How did you perform the leveling?
    Normally it is 5 x 5 I believe, but if you did it via terminal screen you must use G29 P1 R. the R is very important so it repeats for the entire mesh otherwise it only probes the closest point to the current position.

12. Avrution

Avrution Member

I figured it was just automatic like with the stock firmware, so I haven't done anything outside of making sure it was enabled in the code and doing what the first page mentioned with M502 and M500
    Are you saying to change the G29 ;run auto-level routine to include the P1 R or is there another procedure?

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

14. Avrution

Avrution Member

That was pretty neat to watch. I'm guessing the settings for that are now stored in the EEPROM? Do I need to change any other startup scripts such as the G29 ;run auto-level routine or is that even needed unless the bed leveling changes?

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

UBL is a one and done type of leveling, just like MESH is. If you leave G29 in the start up and it is all by itself (no parameters) then it basically does nothing. No need to have it there and no need to remove it either. It stores the UBL mesh in EEPROM and all you need to do is home (G28) for each print.

Avrution likes this.
  16. Avrution

Avrution Member

Getting closer. Printing a perfect calibration cube using M851 Z0.7, but printing a larger 90mm test file and I lose adhesion on the upper end of the print. Guessing I need to come down a little more on the Z. Odd since I still really have to work the scraper to remove the adhered prints.

17. Exudos194

Exudos194 New Member

Hey what instructions did you use to flash 1.1.7? I want to try the firmware but I don't really fully understand the steps yet.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. j93

j93 New Member

I have been having a battle for awhile with the Robo R1 Plus auto leveling. I would like to upgrade to the latest firmware with UBL. I have the Robo R1 Plus with the E3dv6 with stud thermistor and an XXL lcd screen. Does anyone have the prepackaged firmware set up for this setup or can someone smarter than i am when it comes to firmware set one up for me ? any help would be appreciated

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@j93 if we can just get @danzca6 to start a thread on 1.1.8, I'm sure he would oblige. That is why this thread is no longer stickied, a newer version of Marlin is available and will be maintained moving forward by other people. I have already promised him that the thread would be the new sticky for Community Firmware.