1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament Has Run Out

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jaak Ahelik, Sep 30, 2017.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I trust the Robo team, although at times, it feels like I am in a beta test group with this thing.

Regarding the filament detector. This is what Jerry told me when mine went out on the v2. I haven’t tried it yet, but it may help you, especially on a v1 model:

Our original cables used a slightly too large wire gauge on the filament sensor wire that leads down into the Raspberry Pi. The ribbon cable connector at the Pi cannot handle that wire gauge too well. So chances are the connector is just not making good contact. Try squeezing/crimping that connector together more and see if that changes things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That is one thing I thought was not implemented correctly. It should have been a 26 pin ribbon connector to the LCD and then the pins to the filament sensor should have been a Dupont 2-pin connector. Simpler and better overall while providing access to the rest of the GPIO pins on the Raspberry Pi. That will likely be my next mod.

Geof likes this.
  3. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

That's odd. I guess he's suggesting that the male pin at the end of those two wires... didn't get crimped down enough because... the wire was too large. It's usually the opposite situation in a robotic crimping tool that fails to crimp enough through faulty programming.

Instead, I think I'd suggest that even though these various connectors indicate that they're solder-less from the naming convention, they still would work so much better with a miniscule amount of solder. It wouldn't matter what gauge the wire is if it's simply soldered (assuming that you've not increased the outer diameter).

4. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

How about a breakout mod which essentially uses this or this and allows the hacker to have some fun? You know the Raspi's GPIO is under-utilized in this thing.

cobbler2.jpg

cobbler.jpg

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@OutsourcedGuru I have a 26-pin IDC cable coming, that is all I really need, I would rather use Dupont connectors for the rest. I have a bunch of RGB LEDs and RGB LED strips that I could use for stuff. I am also thinking of moving the filament out to the RAMPS board to let it control it rather than an add-on for OctoPrint.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

how it should be....

WheresWaldo likes this.
  7. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

You guys are speaking Greek to me, but I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro