1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New R2 - getting bad prints.. Why? :)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MWDK, Jan 3, 2018.

1. MWDK

MWDK New Member

Hey guys!
    I bought my R2 a while ago - and haven't had time to set it up until now..
    But im getting crappy prints for some reason. Nothing works really :( It starts out fine and then goes bad.
    See attached pictures. What am i doing wrong ?
    Out of the box R2 using Cura. Tried different fillaments aswell. Same issue!
    IMG_5353.JPG IMG_5355.JPG
    IMG_5357.JPG

2. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

That almost looks like the same issue I had when the extruder was’t moving filament reliably.
    If you take off the cover on the top of the extruder (after heating the hot end up and removing the filament), you will see a plate with a Phillips screw. That plastic plate covers the area where the tensioner that holds the filament tight against the geared rotator is. If you remove that plate, you can use the included Allen wrench to tighten the tensioner. In my case, it had become so loose that as the print was in the middle of printing, it would separate like yours did (under extrusion). You can also make sure that the filament is being moved by the geared drive, and that it is not all gummed up with filament particles.
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I am not near the machine at the moment or I would have taken a photo for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Geof likes this.
  3. supercazzola

The screw is this one
    [​IMG]

Geof likes this.
  4. supercazzola

Take that screw off, and remove that small cover. Then behind it is the tensioner I was mentioning. There are several posts on this forum about it, so that may be why no one has written you yet.

#4 supercazzola, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh no, just saw the post. We dont ignore even if its the same or similar :D we will always answer.

@MWDK can you give me more information on what temps, materials etc. Looks like a partial jam and @supercazzola has it nailed to check that part. Also ensure the small fan is running that blows on the hotend (not the 2 part fans, the one behind the hotend) and make sure the gear that drives the filament is tightened down on the shaft. They have been known to work loose in shipping.

Something is stopping filament feed intermittently through the print so we just have to work on narrowing down what that is :D

6. Ogbo14

Ogbo14 New Member

I would also check the diameter of your filament. I recently had similar issues due to the filament being slightly larger than 1.75

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, it is possible to get out of spec filament (infrequent, but it can happen). If you bought a brand (like say, ColorFabb) they will replace it free of charge.

8. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

I actually just went through similar issue, for me I think the filament was the main issue mostly damage from humidity and cold weather. I tried it with used but sealed filament and worked just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.