1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved z offset with PEI sheet issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Avrution, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avrution

Avrution Member

Got my sheet installed and spatula came today. Redoing my UBL and trying to cleanup my startup scripts - I have added things as I have gone over the last two months and I now have 12 lines, a lot of which I'm sure isn't even needed anymore.

So, after removing half of the lines it seems that the R1 still heats up before doing the G28, even though that is the first command and heating the bed and extruder are the last.

#1 Avrution, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

S3d did that to me at first, had to save my profile. Close S3d. Open it again and it worked. Both bed and nozzle MUST be room temp.

3. Avrution

Avrution Member

Just tried again and this time it did the G28 correctly, but it started to print right after the bed was heated up and before the extruder even hit 60, then it stopped after 2 seconds. This was after putting back in all four of the temp settings you suggested (Which seem redundant?)

M140 S[bed0_temperature]

M190 S[bed0_temperature]

M104 S[extruder0_temperature]

M109 S[extruder0_temperature]

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have the wait for temp to stabilize set ?

Will have to look at the start up script I posted. Possibly redundant, just posted what worked:) didn't look at it again after that lol

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

M104 -> Set extruder temperature
    M109 -> Set extruder temperature AND WAIT

So
    M104 S190
    ...other Gcodes
    M109 S185 R195

The idea is that you call the M104 early and then at some point before carrying on (after the startup block for example) you call the M109 to finish waiting. The S/R parameters actually give it a range to target (185-195 in that example).

6. Avrution

Avrution Member

For some reason doing that just sets the extruder temp and does nothing more. I can't even cancel my print without using the emergency stop. If I use the bed preheat function first then that is what locks things.

Aside from probing the bed hot, my previous code had been working fine with just using

G190 S{print_bed_temperature) ;set bed temperature and wait
    G109 S{print_temperature} ;set extruder temperature and wait

at the end of my code. But even then it wouldn't run the G28 until both were preheated.

Edit - I think I see the problem. Can you not have the temps set in S3D and put the M commands in the G code? Looking at the exported code it puts in:

M140 S60
    M190 S60
    M104 S205 T0
    M109 S205 T0

Before my script runs.

#6 Avrution, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you print from S3D it will try to override those settings.

8. Avrution

Avrution Member

Apparently. Learned something new at least. If I leave the S3D commands with no wait then I can add the wait in the startup Gcode and it works fine. Will save a lot of time from having to wait on both the bed and extruder to preheat one at a time.

jim3Dbot, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. Avrution

Avrution Member

So, first full print with the PEI and it seems like my first few layers didn't really happen - my cube ended up with no bottom. I redid my UBL and kept my same Z offset. Is the PEI squishy enough that it might be throwing things off even with the new added height?

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't run UBL just mesh so I don't know but if your first few layers arnt printing your extruder must have been clicking? Increase your offset is my gut feeling. Pei isn't squishy. If yours is squishing you need to press it down more firmly.

11. Avrution

Avrution Member

As in a clicking noise? Nothing out of the ordinary. I see it going around making the patter, but it looks like it is putting down the slightest amount or just making a dent in the PEI. It seems it doesn't really start extruding until about the 4th or 5th layer. I have tried 1.0 and just now .7 and both did the same thing. Guess I'll mess around and hopefully haven't been ruining my new PEI by dragging the hotend

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Offset probably needs to be redone.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats what it sounds like

14. Avrution

Avrution Member

This thing just stumps me. Before, Z1.0 to Z.7 printed nicely.
    Now, it seems if I set the Z offset to anything then the print is too high.
    Leaving it at 0 prints decently, but even I think that is too high.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

With mesh isn't 1.0 closet to the bed and - 1.0 is further from the bed? May want to double check your moving the right way

16. Avrution

Avrution Member

Yes. I just printed my crappiest cube yet and surprise, it is 21mm high instead of 20mm. I think it is toying with me. I bet if I go put my Z offset back in it will suddenly work again.

Something is just really wrong with the machine. Using my control knob to move the Y axis was lowering the Z. Then after moving the Z up it still thought it was lower so then it pushed into my bed - I was waiting for it to break to be honest. I'm packing it in for today - 5 hours messing with this thing and getting nowhere.

Edit - and it is the UBL. Apparently that moves the Z axis around when you move the X and Y. Nothing lined up anymore so it sure doesn't seem that great and is now turned off.

#16 Avrution, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  17. Avrution

Avrution Member

Okay, UBL is gone and back to Bilinear. Leveling my points to make sure everything is correct.

When using paper, if it grabs on 1.1, do I set that for the new offset or back it off to 1.2?

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't understand what your doing. Your reverting back to stock firmware and if so the M565 Z-1.0; is default. Z-.80 for example is closer to the bed positive numbers is further z-1.1 for example is further.

19. Avrution

Avrution Member

Not stock, just not using UBL. Using the bilinear option on 1.1.7 with a mix of manual leveling and making sure everything is correct with my Z. Z at 1.1mm catches the paper, but I can still move it in and out with a little resistance

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Someone using 1.1.7 might be using Bilinear amd they can chime in. Most went with MESH I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.