1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PETG blues, well purples

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by supercazzola, Jan 18, 2018.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

[​IMG]

Using Cura for Robo, I can’t get PETG to extrude properly.

My PETG Profile has
    0.1 mm layer height
    245°C hotend
    80°C bed
    Flow 100%
    Retraction 6.5mm
    Retraction speed 25 mm/sec
    Printspeed 60 mm/sec

This is eSun PETG. The same behavior was observed with yellow PETG from Hatchbox.

Any ideas where to start?
    Of course, no problems with PLA using a profile with 190°C print temp with 60°bed temp.

Even used eSun cleaning filament between change of filament materials.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have two separate profiles for PETG, I have found that for my particular setup opaque colors of PETG extrude differently than translucent colors, and for some reason black PETG is different than white PETG. I also had a spool of translucent orange that just had adhesion problems. This was all from a single manufacturer (eSUN). Most plastics are a milky color in their natural state and then other agents are added to make up the colors. Sometimes those agents will cause changes in the properties of the filament. Ever wonder why the ranges printed on spools is so wide?

With filament as cheap as it is why wouldn't you print a test object to dial in the settings of a particular filament before committing to a bigger project.

3. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Because I am not smart enough to know which settings to change to eliminate the issue. I tried varying the temp throughout the entire range printed the filament box, but no change.

So, any suggestions on how to do the dialing in would be very much appreciated.

As i mentioned, I was smart enough to eliminate the print head and extruder being the cause, as I was able to print the model using PLA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@supercazzola I would try printing a small item, deprime, marvin whatever. Just something under 30 minute print time. Before you print heat up and extrude 100mm. Measure how much (like when you do an extruder calibration) actually comes out. If its 90mm you know you are being shorted 10% and can adjust your flow to 110% to get the correct amount of plastics. Then test print and tweak from there. PETG likes it HOT. Cold and it strings and boogers :D

supercazzola and WheresWaldo like this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

supercazzola and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, this. Run the hot end of the range for PET. It behaves like some nylons that way. Totally backwards from ABS/PLA

Geof likes this.
  7. studiver13

studiver13 New Member

@supercazzola Have you found a decent profile to print with? I am also trying PETG for the first time. I am using MakerGeeks filament, which has some beautiful bright colors and they use pure color instead of additives so it wont fade when printed. The issue is I keep getting stringing and TONS of jams. I am thinking the stringing and jams are related as it seems to stick to the print head rather easily.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@studiver13 this would help you as well. The part about being cold and stringing and boogering is what your describing, to cold most likely. Test prints for the win :D

supercazzola likes this.