1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Faster startup with 24v

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Frank van Gilluwe, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Frank van Gilluwe

I've been making quite a few prints over the last 3-4 days, but often turn off the machine between prints while I tweak a design. Having the much faster start is really nice with 24V. Really does save me time.

Not too worried about the wire gauge, although I hadn't thought about it before. I figure at 24V the extruder is on for less time for a specific heat than if it was running at 19V. I presume some kind of pulse width modulation is used to maintain the temp. I also suspect the same wires/design/PCB is used for the R2 that uses 24V, but don't know.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, the heater is a PWM signal.

3. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

That was a great write-up, thanks. I've just ordered this one and will use it during my dual-extruder upgrade. (I've been distracted by numerous projects in the meantime.)

4. OutsourcedGuru

You, sir, are brilliant.

I finally had a chance to buy the 24V adapter and install it on my C2. This thing is now super-fast at bringing the extruder up to temp. Didn't have to tweak any files; it just works as expected. I see no difference in actual temperature and the print job is running perfectly. I may consider running the PID tuning later but I honestly see no reason why I'd want to right now.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 7.13.15 PM.png

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I figured Jerry was being a bit over-cautious when he told us the heater cores on the C2 might be rated for 19v :) We installed 24v ones anyway (and will eventually migrate to a 24v brick if it ever dies). Might not be a bad idea for the dual-extruder anyway since heating both is a bit longer.

6. OutsourcedGuru

It's not just that, it's the power it pushes. The 19V brick doesn't have the amperage for a dual-extruder plus bed setup. This 24V brick is about as beefy as it gets.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I imagine not, but it does handle two extruders alone OK.