1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Help Installing New Ribbon Cable for Monitor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BenJoeM, Feb 12, 2018.

1. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

Robo sent me a new ribbon cable to connect from the Rasberry Pi to the Monitor but I need to remove the back cover it appears to connect a power cable. I am clueless how to get this off and can't find any documentation.

Anyone have a documentation or info on how to do this properly

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you certain you cant go by "feel" and get the new one in place? (thats how I do it) tearing down the machines that far is...unpleasant. Mark has a C2 guide and I have a brief overview with photos on the R2 http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/replacing-r2-touchscreen.19684/

I think the best way (you'll see with the pictures in both threads) is to unhook it, plug in one side (probably monitor side first) then go to the pi side. Should be fairly quick.

4. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

So the problem is I have no problem connecting it to the Pi nor the Monitor side, it is the red and black cable that goes into the back into a tiny hole. That is where I can't see where it connects. Which is why I believe it has to be torn down.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

BenJoeM likes this.
  6. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

Just came back after a short trip, I have to replace the black and red wire. That is the cable. I can take a picture tonight but the black and red cable that connects in and through the whole then connects to the ribbon cable.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

IIRC that is the thermistor cable for the hotend. Look through my C2 teardown and assembly for the dual-extrusion. Probably can see it in there. If not I can get a photo under the bed. That wire connects on its own so it is pretty obvious.

8. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

Ok, so the tear down on the C2 was very simple once I found some time. Two screws on the back and 4 on the bottom for the internet and usb cables. Then there two screws on the top piece. Once I removed that it all came off.

The black and red wire connected to a small circuit board placed underneath a different ribbon cable that went up to the extruder. The board was free standing just sitting there, but I removed the cable and reconnected.

Kicked on the power and green and red light came on great. I connected my new monitor that was sent to me as well. And same thing...smoke and monitor is dead. Ugh! Honestly this C2 has been a nightmare.

Calling again today.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It does sound like them swapping the entire unit would have been a better choice. Something is wrong in a more fundamental way.

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Runout sensor???????? Thats the only thing I can recall that is attached to the header that goes to the Pi (I have not tore down my C2 so I am assuming its the same as the R2)

sounds like multiple issues going on :(. If it were me I would ask them to send your a replacement unit. If there is smoke I would have to assume a short in either the Rasp. Pi or in the Robo mainboard. I would not want to spend the time trying to track it down when under warranty you can have a new machine sent and send that one back. Typically I prefer to fix the machines when they are broke- but not when your under warranty with the C2 and R2. To many "not off the shelf" parts and to little documentation. Educated guesses only get you so far and you shouldn't feel stressed out or bad about your purchase :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

So I called support and we checked everything is wired correctly. I picked up two new screens on amazon and tested the first one. All I get is now a white screen. I did the online trouble shooting and support recommended pulling out the SD Card and putting it back. However no dice. White screen. At least it is not blowing up.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That sounds more like the Pi not booting correctly (which is why they had you pull the SD card and reseat it).
    I'd get them to shot you a new SD card or reburn the image yourself if you can.

13. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

Yeah they said Monday they would reach back out. I found a post of a guy who has an image that I can download and change for my printer and reimage. I will give it a try.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Do this on a new SD card. Keep your old one around just in case :)

15. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

Got new card. Downloaded image and now screen turned on!!! It is now updating to the newest version. The RoboC2 is back from the dead!

Thanks to everyone’s support

16. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

Got new card. Downloaded image and now screen turned on!!! It is now updating to the newest version. The RoboC2 is back from the dead!

Thanks to everyone’s support

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make a backup copy of your new card. Keep the image somewhere safe. On Windows, WIN32DiskImager will do that for you.

18. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

Test print didn’t go well. Filament sensor melting going off saying I was out of filament. Some additional research I have found that the red and black cable is to that sensor. So I must have not put it in the slot correctly.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It should only go one way on the header for the raspberry pi. Reversed and the screen shouldn't work correctly? Cant recall exactly but on the R2 the red and black are on the pi header. I cant peek at my C2 as its loaned out at the moment.

20. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

I plan to do a teardown and will post a photo so I can try and solve it. Last night I attempted a print and would just tell it to resume printing but by to 10th time it decided to smash into the printing plate and started to melt a hole so I had to stop it.