1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What's new on Robo's GITHUB

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Oct 31, 2017.

1. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

You should see what it takes to compile Cura. The dependencies alone (as I recall) was a quarter of a million files.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Too much wasted time on stuff that does not improve print quality or user experience. That is all I am seeing now.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

only part I care about. :D the user experience to me is fine, I'd love to see some advances to more current marlin. Different strokes.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

They just retrofit all their own changes to Marlin 1.1.6, 1.1.7 and 1.1.8 in new branches this past week. So I think the Elite group will be asked to test new versions soon.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

nifty. Will test but if unreliable...its back out again lol.

6. OutsourcedGuru

Like what? (features they should add to Marlin)

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So, I am trying to figure out just what is going on with the Robo GITHUB, there are changes , rebases and then reverting commits all over the place. The new features are of questionable value and the code still insists on using LINEAR as a leveling method. Right now it is a mess with no value add for current users. Attempts are being made to fix the Robo additions to Marlin base code that broke existing functionality.

Neither G-code additions, appear to increase performance or print quality and neither add to a better 'user experience', They also do not solve any problems, either real or imagined. Until someone can actually explain how they believe the added code does any of that, my opinion remains, the new firmware is a bust so far.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you know, have they tried your version with their preferred leveling enabled? They may really like it. Seems the additions (faster z movement and homing sequence ) is already in your version?

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I just updated a few parameters in mine but haven't pushed them to my GITHUB yet, basically I took the movement numbers from their new beta to make the Z axis faster. None of the rest is worth any time spent on them. Why they have any programmer working on this addition is beyond me, especially when RoboLCD 2.0 is riddled with bugs.

They only have a passing interest in what I have done. I think management is really looking for a way to close source all the code. Once they accomplish that, I will be moving on to something better.

I think you know what I am saying.

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Indeed i do. They cant close the sourcw and run marlin though correct ? It has to be published ?

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

They just have to make it available if you ask, I don't think it actually has to be in a publicly accessible place. Technically they can't close source RoboLCD either, since it is a derivative work from Voxel8, which is already using an Open Source license. If they can prove all the code is theirs then it could be licensed as closed source. The other add-ons included in their OctoPrint image (actually a version of OctoPi, also OSS by the way) code are forks or clones of other OSS work, so technically anyone that asks can/should be able to get a copy of nearly all the source. To be fair, most of it is in their GITHUB easily available except the new version of RoboLCD which is private.

Geof likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just a quick update, there has been some work on isolating the newly added G-code (G35) code from other leveling schemes (other than ABL LINEAR) and making changes to the firmware easier if you want to use the same firmware between the C2 / R2 / R2 Dual. This latter change is really more for the programmers, it is a heck of a lot easier to maintain one codebase instead of separate ones for each machine. It bloats the source code some, but that bloat is nearly completely removed at compile time.

Cannot look at any of the RoboLCD code, it is forked and extended from an OSS project, but I haven't asked to see the code, nor do I currently want to. As a private repository there is no real way to report issues and check on them when they are finally remediated.

Updater script was changed to include a newer version of the filament sensor. I am not sure how they modified the original version they forked from.

It is sometimes very difficult to read what actually is changed since Robbo has a habit of arbitrarily changing version numbers. My own opinion is they do this to differentiate themselves from the original author.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Shouldn't have to.

I worked for a company that the part numbers always had to be an in house number. Could see that being the same with them.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

But those were parts, this is software, where the majority is used as-is. No issues if they change a sub version but their habit is changing the main version number. That makes it hard to tell just what version of Marlin (for instance) they used.

I can say they are getting better on Marlin versioning. Their variants do not have major release number changes. That was one of my biggest complaints early on. they were using a version number that would be actually used by Marlin developers, calling their original Marlin 1.1.6 based firmware Robo version 1.1.9. It was misleading and causes confusion as a casual observer might think everything fixed in 1.1.7 and 1.1.8, by the Marlin main developers was in the Robo version. I am happy they stopped doing that with Marlin.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a logic to version numbering for software, but too often it is overlooked.

Geof likes this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Only edited the readme over the weekend. Added to the changelog. I am glad they now specify which version of Marlin their firmware is based on. It is Marlin 1.1.6.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Take the following changes with a grain of salt, as they may not be permanent. That said, there are changes to the length of time and the range of temperatures being tested for thermal protection within Marlin. Basically almost all numbers are being doubled. This is, in my opinion, likely because of the undersized bed heater used in the R2. As I said, it may not be a permanent change as the commits are being listed as "testing". These commits were only applied to the current 'dev' version of Marlin 1.1.6.

There don't appear to be any other significant changes during the past week.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

New version of RoboTheme was release 0.3.3, so far the only thing I see is that if you go to Settings, Flash Firmware, the browse button is improperly rendered. To install the new theme go to Plugin Manager and select Get More ... from the bottom, use this URL: https://github.com/Robo3D/OctoPrint-robotheme/archive/0.3.3.zip

The old version will be uninstalled and the newest version will install. Since I haven't used robotheme for a very long time, I am not sure if tabbed options are back or if it is my installation (JMHO, tabbed looks better and cleaner).

Geof likes this.
  20. OutsourcedGuru

For what it's worth, we've been comparing slicing profiles from about everyone we could gather... a bit of a competition for the best settings possible. And then we've been vetting those with real-world print examples on every printer we can get our hands on. The best of the best will make it into the next release as published.