1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

V2 Bed Buildtak Replacement

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Shrey, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

Hello,

I'm not there to the point where i need to replace the buildtak yet but i also wanted to know if i can repalce the buildtak with PEI sheet or may be even get a glass plate and tape it on top after removing the buildtak.

As for the glass plate i was going to test it with the ultrabase from anycubic. Although it looks like it could be viable replacement i still would like to ask for an opinion whether or not that seems like a good option or not.

Redriche likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

never used Ultrabase before. @WheresWaldo replaced the buildtak with PEI and I believe is doing fine?

I have no issues using buildtak for most things so will likely keep with it. May change to PEI in the near future. Not sure glass on the R2 would really help.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Personally, I like glass and hairspray. But don't forget that the plastic frame around the bed sticks up approximately 0.7 - 0.8 mm all round. This is so the 0.8 mm BuildTak / PEI sheet will lay flush all the way around the bed, So you have to have a piece of glass that fits inside that little lip.

Geof likes this.
  4. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

The only reason I want to switch to PEI is because with buildtak it sticks well but when you have parts with larger footprint on the bed the harder it is to remove it. With pei generally it’s effortless.

As for ultrabase I got it and just waiting for buildtak to go bad and from there let’s see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

When I converted my Version 1 bed to a version 2 bed, I used PEI. I just like it better than BuildTak for my use case which is printing mostly with PET-G. I covered over the screws that hold the bed to the plastic frame. I purchased 250 mm square sheets with adhesive and then cut them to size to fit inside the plastic lip (approximately 227 mm square with a penny sized curve on each corner). It was easily cut with one of those bypass paper cutters, but heavier scissors would work too.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have the buildtak spatula? I hated buildtak until had a few of those :D. interested to see this Ultrabase thing, be sure to do a projects thread!

supercazzola likes this.
  7. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

Actually the new v2 bed comes with screws covered and as for PEI conversation thank you so much it makes it easy to do now.

But seems like you’ve been able to use PEI successfully I’ll give it a try with the ultrabase once the buildtak goes bad just for the general testing purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

Geof likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Tip from Josef Prusa: Use Windex or another other non-streaking prepared window cleaner. He says they have anti-static chemicals added to prevent dust collection on your windows. The anti-static properties appear to work as a release agent, so larger prints are easier to remove. I spray a paper towel so that it is wet, then wipe the bed leaving a bit of the window cleaner to dry on the bed. So far not one single print has been hard to remove and I have done a couple that use about half the R2 bed.

supercazzola, Shrey and Geof like this.
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

My version 2 bed did not come that way, there where little notches where each screw was located.

Geof likes this.
  10. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

This method works on buildtak or PEI only?

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

When you replace it with the PEI, note the thickness used. The bed requires 0.8 mm or thicker sheet so the plastic edge doesn't get in the way.

Shrey likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I would assume both but Prusa uses PEI so that is what he specifically mentioned.

13. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

Yeah I was thinking similar but yeah I’ll give it try on buildtak on my next print

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Geof I don't have the BuildTak spatula but did modify the Robo supplied spatula and also a 6" wide drywall blade. I took my Dremel and a sanding drum and rounded the two sharp corners and then sanded down the burr. It works perfectly and with round corners it is much more difficult to gouge the bed surface.

#14 WheresWaldo, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I just love the spatula lol. I have a bunch of different types but on large prints, nothing beats being able to wiggle it under a corner and off the print comes. so nice :D (handle is perpendicular to the "blade" and the blade is rounded)

(I cant tell you how many sheets of buildtak on my gmax that spatula has saved :D)

Adam Laird and Shrey like this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Found the tip on YouTube of all places, some random 3D printing video.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The drywall blade is much more flexible than the scrapper Robo supplies. I almost always use the 6" blade.

Adam Laird and Shrey like this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yep we did that to most of ours as well. then we tried one corner leaving one sharp to "lift" the edge of the print and random other things. Now I've got 2 spatulas from buildtak and thats all I use :p

Shrey likes this.
  18. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

Will try that out with mine next week

19. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

You will notice they changed the v2 buildtak. The one in the photo is how they are sending it now, but I have one like you, with the notches cut out, and without the caution hot triangle warnings, and a newer one. You should be able to see the difference. Ignore the priming line on the one on the left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro[​IMG]

#19 supercazzola, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I replaced mine already, with a single sheet with no notches. I always thought the notches were dumb and wholly unnecessary. I just wished they had used a different bed that had a slightly higher power rating. Heating is still woefully slow and prone to errors. It is not a fix to just lengthen and/or widen the parameters before a failure is detected.

I had to replace my old sheet for two reasons; Gouges, just too many, that was before I took my Dremel to the scraper to round the edges, don't know why I didn't know that tip before; Melted spots, since I test a lot, I also fail a lot of prints, sometimes they fail in layer 1 or 2 and the bug that causes the hotend to stay in place over 5 seconds after canceling had left a few pock marks in the build surface.

Geof likes this.