1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What's new on Robo's GITHUB

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Oct 31, 2017.

1. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I spent most of this morning working on resurrecting the tabs.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Slicing profiles are what they are, just a starting point, too many variables to make them perfect. And your perfect might be someone else's flawed.

3. OutsourcedGuru

True that.

Feel free to throw your own if you'd like to contribute.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not gonna happen, my R2 is so far from stock that if anyone tried to use my profiles they would have a real mess on their hands.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, same problem I have these days. I refer folks to the older S3D profiles I uploaded a couple of years ago.

Geof and WheresWaldo like this.
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am disheartened by the lack of activity on the Robo GITHUB. In light of the issues brought up on this forum and on Facebook (not a real support platform), nothing seems to be happening. Now please note that this does not include RoboLCD, the front end for OctoPrint and basically all most users see if they restrict their use to the LCD. Robo chose to make that code private (I have no issue with this with certain caveats).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is why I am still on old firmware and RoboOS for my C2 -- can't add the dual-extrusion back in

8. OutsourcedGuru

For what it's worth, I routinely delete/archive about a hundred notifications of one type or another from my email addresses and my github console and they're related to activity that goes on for the aggregate development of Robo 3D's software. People are actively working on code there.

Hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn, but the bulk of my effort now is in creating a very consistent experience for generating the images which ultimately appear on those microSD cards. As well, you may or may not have seen some of the PRs I posted to fix some of the issues I myself identified in the dashboard software interface.

There's a rigorous QA policy and software must conform to test cases which we must write. Peer review is common. Calls for volunteers and outright conscription of others occurs for the purpose of testing things. Everywhere you turn, someone is ratcheting up the quality requirements in some way or another.

Some very cool print jobs occur around me on any given day. Mark will be pleased about the next major release, I'd guess. I'm surprised from time to time when I see what somebody has managed to print and the quality they're achieving (say, with unsupported ceilings).

The entire place is a showcase of innovation, excitement, artistry, inventiveness and hope. It's a fun time to be doing this.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That it is :)

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Despite any internal work being done or not being done, I really could not care less. Internal testing and coding does not affect either myself or the other owners of Robo3D products. Once it is publicly available, then it matters. Internal testing is also done with blinders on, you have a small focus and cannot know all the issues end users will experience until it is out in the wild. With regard to public information, GITHUB appears to be the only means of knowing what is being worked on and what isn't. In many cases leaving coding efforts private violates the GNU Licenses of all the prior work many of the Robo parts are derived from.

Yes I could ask for the code directly and you would be obligated via inherited licensing to supply it to anyone that asks, but Robo already has repositories for most of it's derivative software parts except RoboLCD. Marlin is OSS, OctoPi is OSS, Raspbian is OSS, and most of the add-ons used in RoboOS are forked from other people's work.

So, in short, when I say there is nothing apparently being done, it is based on outwardly facing factors. This thread is specific to the GITHUB repositories that Robo maintains, not what some random programmer is doing in San Diego.

After working in the software industry (for the #3 software producer in the world) I know what internal development cycles are, I also know what that means to an end user, just because you are working on some cool stuff, doesn't mean the end user will ever see that cool stuff.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@OutsourcedGuru If you feel the need to reply to this thread, in some need to defend the work being done by yourself and your colleagues, please with respect to complete transparency change your user status to Robo Employee (even if you may be only a contract employee) so that people can surmise any bias you may have for your comments. Make sure you also vet all your comments through "official" channels, since employee comments in social media carry the same weight as official public company statements (at least according to the legal system in the US).

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Another week has gone by with no updates to any of the GITHUB repositories other than a bit of testing Cura profiles with Cura 3.2.1.

[​IMG]

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

A few days ago a new repository arrived, it is a typeface repository for a typeface called RoboSans. It looks like it is a combination of NotoSans and NotoSans CJK and will help Robo bring a consistent look to all interfaces using Asian characters in line with Western characters. Nice to see some movement on UI.

Anyone wanting to check it out can find it here: https://github.com/Robo3D/RoboSans

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Some background repositories have been updated, looks like most of the updates relate to how Robo builds its own version of Cura. Nothing in those repositories is for customer consumption. Not much else happening at the moment.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

This week just saw some more background edits to Cura, Profiles and Marlin repositories. Some work is being done on OctoPrint 1.3.6 to make it compatible with RoboOS but it specifically mentions that it is not compatible.

There was a new fork to an OctoPrint plugin that is used for 3DPrinterOS Cloud support, so maybe a new feature sooner rather than later. https://github.com/Robo3D/OctoPrint-3DPrinterOS

Otherwise there is not much that can be pulled from the repositories for immediate use.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So I am not passing any judgement here and it might mean nothing at all, but all comments about G35 and G36 were just reverted and removed from the 1.1.8 dev repository. It doesn't appear that the actual code used to implement G35 and G36 have been removed, just the comments that list what those commands do. Some other code used to control the added DAC (not available in any production mainboard) also seems to have been reverted.

If we are lucky maybe the ambient light nonsense will be finally gone from the firmware. (this statement IS my personal opinion)

GITHUB shows that Robo-OctoiPrint was updated in the last day, but I can't find it. My normal way of searching for new commits is to look at Branches and whatever branch had a commit will be listed at the top with the date. So GITHUB shows a commit within the last 24 hours but Branches shows the latest commit 6 days ago.

supercazzola and Geof like this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

"This statement is accurate". For everyone that has complained about the bed diving, removing the G36 has fixed it. Hoping to see it go away.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

supercazzola likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

well now that is a cool extra utility. Once you say it the added value seems rather obvious, but darned if it came to mind before then :)

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Only one change this week in the repositories, a small correction to the Cura 15.x profile for PETG, temperature was raised from 215° C to 235° C. Does anyone actually slice their models on the R2?