1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y-axis offset adjustment

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeff Lastofka, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

I've searched for "offset" in forum titles and didn't find this, so.....

My printer's always worked fine. All the prints are physically 3/4" off center in the Y dimension on the heated bed. So that's 3/4" away from me when standing in front of the printer. Matter Control shows the parts centered or wherever I put them, and the printer always makes them 3/4" away from that. I see there's an origin adjustment (or offset, or ? - I don't remember the exact wording) in the software and I was going to change that but thought I'd ask here before messing up some prints or wasting stuff. Obviously it's not a problem with small parts, but might be later, so I'm trying to optimize it before I run into a problem.

Anyone else notice their prints being at a different physical origin than the software display?
    Anyone else make the adjustment and have it work out well?

Thanks for any feedback on this. I'm up to 116 hours and 1.8 kg of filament and no problems other than I had to fix up the aluminum thermal tape under the bed, and I had the MatterTouch controller (not the new T10) drop two jobs but now I don't let it sleep between sessions. I shut it down and start it from scratch when I'm going to use it. Seems quite reliable this way. Only PLA so far. Just haven't gotten around to trying ABS.

I also replaced the main housing fan and the tiny extruder fan with ones mentioned in these forums under a noise reduction thread. It was easy to do and made a BIG reduction in noise. It's very pleasant now.

(And the wiring on my printer didn't have enough slack to reach full printing height but it was easy to go in and move things a bit underneath.)

2. gobblinfool

gobblinfool Member

I actually have this same problem. Have you found a solution?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

I haven't gotten around to trying the offset yet. My printed parts haven't been real large so far. A few have had to go diagonally.

It shouldn't be hard to change the number and try it out, then put it back if no good.

4. gobblinfool

gobblinfool Member

there's actually a setting I found in settings and controls in the advanced section where you can change the centerpoint of your print bed.. that seemed to do the trick on mine. I'm doing a test print now but if need be I can look back at it for you and tell you which one it was

5. robocad

robocad Member

The corner of the heated square is not at 0,0 which is why you'll have trouble using the entire heated bed on this printer. In simplyfy 3d under option and machine there is origin offset settings for each axis.

6. gobblinfool

gobblinfool Member

I'm still using matter control at the moment.. I found the offsets there and adjusted

7. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

I'm using Matter Control also. I've now changed the Y axis offset from 127 down to 100 and I like the centering better. I center the parts in Matter Control on the computer and then send them over WiFi to the touch controller. They come up off center there now, so I move them to visually center and they print there. This is for setting up the system. When printing parts in general I position them randomly in the four quadrants of the print area, figuring to spread the wear around a bit on the lead screws. I doubt it will matter, but it's easy to do, so why not? I'll go ahead and mark this solved now.

8. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

I've been printing for roughly 3 weeks now and love it! I have the same issue as you in that my print bed is off by some degree. When the nine test points are checked, the last three towards the rear are outside the white line. I'd like to fix it too. Where in the advance settings did you set the Y axis? I'd love to fix this. Thanks!

9. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

It's under Settings and Controls, Printer, Print Area

Mine showed 114 for X and 127 for Y. I made the Y 100 instead.

The software still places the part off center, but if you center it visually on the new layout it will print in the middle. That's how it's working for me. In the past, if I centered it visually it printed off center.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Adjust it if you want, but please understand that the markings on the print surface are meaningless -- cosmetic with no function or purpose. They don't actually indicate print boundaries or size.

11. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

I know they're not placed with any great accuracy, but on mine I can feel around and kinda tell where the hot area is. I think my new centered position is better aligned with the hot area. For most parts it's not an issue, but if a person starts printing near the edges it could be.

( Plus, if there are markings there, and the software has similar markings, why not just have things line up so it doesn't look like it was put together by people who don't care? )

I'm up to 120 hours and 2 kg of PLA through mine and it's been printing great, although I had to fix up a couple little assembly issues. I've got some ABS, Ninjaflex, and wood PLA to try but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I use a little Aquanet hairspray on the bed and have had no adhesion problems.

12. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

Good to know. It hasn't been a problem so far. I was worried since MatterControl was showing something dead center in the model I was printing that the bed had to line up in accordance with the software. Thanks for the feedback.

13. zeroprod

zeroprod New Member

Hello Jeff, I have had my Robo R1 Plus for only 3 months and I may be new to 3d printing but I have noticed that in MatterControl when I start a print. It does a 9 point calibration on the print bed. When it gets to the top portion, it will go off the heated border. Also the prints are not centered, even though in matter control it is centered.

I am wondering if you had to adjust it more for the Y or if you had to make the print bed settings smaller ?
    Any help would be appreciated. thank you
    Joe

14. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

You're seeing the kind of thing I was seeing. Attached is a screenshot of the settings I'm using for my R1+ in the MatterControl software. These numbers seemed to put the prints about in the middle of the heated area.

Attached Files:

zeroprod likes this.
  15. zeroprod

zeroprod New Member

Awesome thank you Jeff. I will try it out with the new settings for the Y. I'm using also the Robo R1 +
    I appreciate the help.
    Joe

16. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

Yours could be somewhat different depending on manufacturing and whatever. If you mentally note where yours is printing now with your settings and then see what the new settings do, you'll have an idea how much to change the numbers slightly to dial yours in.

17. zeroprod

zeroprod New Member

I tried the settings and its great it does make it more in the middle as you described. however, do you know if there is a way to adjust the printing area. if you notice in the picture, the upper 3 dots are above the print area and its as its just the same amount that's missing from the bottom of the picture. I find it odd but if this is as good as it gets. I can live with it. now with the new settings its better than what it used to be.
    Joe

Attached Files:

18. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

Are the dots from the bed leveling probing activity? That might not be affected by the print area settings. I wouldn't worry about them if that's what we're talking about. They're just used by the software to compensate for a tilted surface. If the glass is reasonably flat it shouldn't matter where that's done. I think. Depends on how they wrote the software perhaps. If it's printing reliably, it must be getting the height and tilt correct. If your positioning is pretty close to the middle, you're probably pretty well set:)

zeroprod likes this.
  19. zeroprod

zeroprod New Member

Oh I see what you mean. my printer prints amazing. I love it, I was just concerned that if I print something large that it will print out of the heated area. but I do want to thank you again for centering it. it did help. I appreciate it.

Thanks again Jeff,

Joe

20. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

Glad to help. I've gotten a bunch of help from these forums. Nice to be able to return the favor once in a while.

Christian V. and zeroprod like this.