1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder Top

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

So besides the extruder/stepper what else is needed to make this modification? All cables wiring plug and play? If using the smaller stepper does there still need to be adjustments made to the firmware for E-Steps? You listed a couple different steppers in this thread or is one for the destructive top and a different one for the non-destructive top? Sorry for all the questions but yea Im a 3D printing newb.

Thanks! awesome stuff here!

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would not suggest anyone do the destructive modification. For that matter, I wouldn't suggest that anyone without good mechanical skills do the non-destructive modification either. The first stepper used was the original supplied by Robo the second stepper was a much smaller stepper motor that E3D recommends.

Yes you have to recalculate the ESteps is you want to use this extruder, it has a 3:1 ratios over most direct drive extruders. ESteps for this extruder are about 435, default Robo Extruder is 145.5.

Geof likes this.
  3. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Thanks WheresWaldo

The mechanical skills I have no problem with, in fact my printer sits in my machine shop and I design and fabricate things almost on a daily basis, mostly out of Titanium or 7075 aluminum, what I do lack experience in and need help with is the programming of the machine part to make the modifications work, I will learn it, Im just new to this.

For instance you say I will need to recalculate the steps but I don't have any idea how to do that, I know very little about gcode but again I will learn it.

I plan to do this mod along with adding the V6 hot end, I am not doing this hoping for better print quality I think the R2 prints nicely, Im just looking for better constancy in printing, as it is now I can print a part and it will come out perfectly and re-print it and without changing anything and it fails, unfortunately it fails more often than it succeeds. I don't think changing the hot end is really necessary but the availability of parts and support for V6 hot end is everywhere and is clearly of higher quality.

I think upgrading the extruder will provide the biggest benefit on this, most of the material I will use for the type of things I will print will be of the specialty variety such as the carbon/metal added types and the current extruder doesn't seem to have the oomph to push it through consistently.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The following video link explains this. It gets posted here about once a month.

Other links that talk about the same thing.

5. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Awesome thanks!!!!

6. Reigs311

Reigs311 New Member

Thank you! I just completed this mod also, running my first print with it also. The EE steps were pretty straight forward to change on the R2.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Jot that number down in case you have to re-do it at some point :)

Reigs311 likes this.
  8. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Nice did you do the destructive or non-destructive method? Did you stay with the hex or switch to the V6?

Reigs311 likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Larry Garrido please do not do the destructive version, the other works much better and you can always go back to stock if you want to. I no longer use the destructive version and will be removing the file links.

10. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Agreed, I wasn't planning on doing the destructive version, no point in that with your non-destructive version, I am just collecting parts and info at this point, I cant really do anything that would void the warranty right now until my auto leveling issues are addressed that started after the 2.0 update, I have to remove the auto-level g-code to be able to print.

11. Reigs311

Reigs311 New Member

I did the non destructive version, the stock R2 extruder took a poop on me. The spring force wasn't enough and it just needed an overhaul. I originally redesigned the Titan extruder mount for a direct drive using the existing motor and a different "spring" set up but that eventually broke also. I kept the hexagon hot end, and ran a guide tube from the bottom of the 1.75 "cone" included in the Titan kit. I glued mine in place to make sure everything would go back together. I had to get creative but all seems to be working. I didn't take pics of the guide tube install but it's pretty straight forward. Also I plugged in 435 for steps and it seems to be working just fine. I just started a 16 hour print so we'll see. Here are some of the pics I did take.
    IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1021.JPG

12. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Looking good!

Reigs311 likes this.
  13. Reigs311

Reigs311 New Member

I kept the stock hex end. Let me know if you have any specific questions or if you need me to send you any pics. It's a pretty straight forward mod.

14. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Cool thank you!

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Reigs311 You may want to reprint with the latest version of the non-destructive. The motor on mine heated up enough to soften the filament which caused the mount to bend. Of course it was a test mount that I was too lazy to replace and printed in PLA. Please don't use PLA! So now the current version has triangular gussets on both sides of the motor to prevent the bending, plus I printed it in PETG, eventually I will reprint it in nylon or polycarbonate, again it is more about being too lazy to take it all apart again.
    upload_2018-3-30_10-17-32.png

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

PolyCarb or BluPrint would be my advice as well.

17. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Yep I have that one, question, does that hole in the base in the photo below have a purpose?

[​IMG]

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Save filament?!?

19. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Oh ok I see... :)

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Well, @Larry Garrido I really couldn't answer directly since your picture didn't link. In the original destructive model, the purpose of the hole was to allow the ribbon cable to be routed the same as the original extruder top. in the non-destructive it was to save on print time and filament.