1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Buildtak Flexplate or PEI

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Hellsbells, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Hellsbells

Hellsbells New Member

ROBO is replacing my R2 failing V1 heat bed with the V2. I am looking at either using the Buildtak Flexplate or PEI for better adhesion and easier use. Anybody have any feedback on one over the other?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

there is a thread (or a few ) with opinions on the buildtak flex plate for the R2. Might want to give them a read.

3. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

I've used the flexplate and had good experiences with it. However, I stopped using buildtak sheets altogether and am now using glass instead. I would recommend glass over any type of buildtak or PEI surface. It's way easier to use and your prints come out beautiful. I use hairspray for adhesion and when it gets crudded up, I just wipe it off with a damp rag and reapply - easy. But, like I said, the flexplate is nice. Much nicer than just the buildtak surface by itself.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Hellsbells17

Hellsbells17 Member

I actually sold my R2 and purchased a Raise3D Pro2 that comes with a Buildtak sheet. I never really knew what a good 3D print was until I printed on the Pro2. Straight out of the box it prints beautifully with no leveling or fuss. The Buildtak surface is awesome. I tried Buildtak on the R2 and it was a headache.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

All about that first layer :D Glad to hear the Pro is working out, steep price tag! Cant wait to see a thread on it with a BUNCH of pictures (please :D )

So you have the buildtak system but stopped and are using straight glass? Any issues on the glass with the IR? Maybe some pics of your set up?

6. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I've been using the BuildTak Flexplate for about one spool now, and I generally like it for printing PLA. I've also used it (a bit) for printing PETG samples.

I suspect it's the reason why I suddenly started getting nozzle crashes on the 9-point bed levelling routine, so I disable that, and it's worked fine so far.

I just ordered a second plate and a sheet of PEI to go on it, so I'll know soon enough how well that works.

Off-topic, but to me, PEI means Prince Edward Island, and I still have to rescan every time I see it in a 3D printing context

7. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Envy here.

None of the bed levelling issues we all read about on the N2?

8. Hellsbells

Hellsbells New Member

Nope no leveling issues at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk