1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

This thread is to organize everyone who would like to upgrade their original ABS models and PLA only models to the new ABS capable Y Axis Linear Motion System.

The upgrade includes:
    One full length sheet of Borosilicate glass Print Bed with a heating pad adhered to the underside
    A detachable Print Bed system complete with neodymium magnets and a wire plug for detaching the wires directly at the bed.
    A newly designed middle plate that allows the bed wires to travel through it and remain out of sight under the print bed
    Two pillow blocks that each hold two rail guiding linear motion bearings to the middle plate
    Two specially plated smooth rods designed for use with linear motion systems
    Two end brackets that hold the assembly together
    New Y belt attachment and tension adjustment system

I've attached photos. These photos show the prototype printed parts. The actual parts are injection molded.

This upgrade will be available for delivery by mid March.

I need to know how many of these systems we should have made for the first batch to have ready to deliver to all of you.

The upgrade will be $99 plush shipping.
    For this first batch, we will also include a free SD card reader and bracket that attaches right to your bottom case and allows easy access to the SD card.

If you would like the upgrade, please email me using your preferred email address at robo3dhelp@gmail.com Please use "Y Axis Upgrade" as the subject.

If you already have the full length sheet of Borosilicate glass and just want the other parts this is also possible. I haven't figured out the cost yet but it will definitely be cheaper than the full upgrade with the glass. Please email as I have described above.

For the first batch I will need to have a count by February 15th. Please email me by then so I can get the orders in.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  2. Dark09

Dark09 New Member

O_O... This looks like a pretty nice upgrade to me (with my limited knowledge of 3d printers lol). Hopefully this will resolve the issues i've been seeing with spots on the buildplate being .004-5 of an inch off...

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jerry

Can you give an estimate of shipping cost to Australia please.

Thanks

4. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

Interested but will need an estimate for uk shipping (and import duties)

5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I would prefer an adjustable spring mount system over neodymium magnets. I don't need to detach the bed as much as I need the fine adjustments that spring mounts offer. Nonetheless, an otherwise clean and efficient set up.

2 people like this.
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Will you just be selling the upgrade hardware for those up us with the heated bed glass and that want to print the plastic ourselves?

7. Deadly Z Driver

I wish I would have known this a couple weeks ago... I already purchased an lcd screen... How much for just the rail system?

8. algares

algares New Member

Sent you an email. Looking forward to this :)

9. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Jerry, email sent. :) I am so in on this. My printer's Y axis has been very stable but I can easily see it going out of whack eventually. Better to get ahead of a possible problem than scrambling to fix it after. :)

BTW, this has been placed on the Robo 3D User's FAQ as section C.11. "Official Y Axis Linear Motion and Print Bed Upgrade"

10. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

What is this upgrade for or fixes what issue? Since I have not received my printer yet, is this going to be a regular include for future sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Jerry,
    From the photos the design does not seem to have any way to adjust the Y-axis level. Are you relying on the glass and the molded plastic and rail frame as is to ensure a sufficiently level Y axis? Is the frame stiff enough to support the Y belt tension without deformation over time that will effect the Y axis level? I think those that have had problems with the bed deserve to have some statement on the engineering analysis and testing of the new system.

I have been one of the lucky ones with a printer that has reasonably level Y axis (after replacing the bed that was cracked in shipping). But I'm also worried about it's long term stability. The removable bed seems like a good idea. It would helpful for cleaning the bed without worrying about over stressing the Y rails.

2 people like this.
  12. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

13. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

To me, the straight rod will be a lot less flexible than the current rails which can flex easily.
    Also, no tension on the glass should allow for a flatter bed as long as the glass is fully supported by the frame.
    I can see where it will have a lot more stability than the current setup.
    I put in for my upgrade as this was something I was already looking into doing on my own.

2 people like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Also in for this. The Y has not be horrible, but this is a good enhancement.

15. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Any pictures or info on the sd card reader

16. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

SD card reader isn't much to look at and you won't ever see it. It allows you to print from the SD card so you don't have to have your computer running the whole print. Just need to start the print using your computer. See the pic of the reader mounted onto the printer.

Attached Files:

17. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

Jerry,

I might jump on this just to have a more developed solution than mine. I've got a few questions, though:

• People have asked about bed leveling. I found my bed to be almost perfectly level when I replaced with smooth rods. What confidence do you have that a bed leveling system is not needed.
    • How stable is the magnet attachment solution? If I do a print that has relatively high frequency moves, will there be risk of bed shifting?
    • What is the point of being able to remove the bed if the heater is stuck to it? I'm seriously confused by this point. It's not like you can remove the bed for washing if it's still attached to the machine. If you put connectors on it, you still have the problem of not wanting to get the kapton bed wet.
    • Have you gone with thicker glass so that you can minimize the bowing? For example, the Ultimaker glass is almost 2x the thickness of yours.
    • What is the Y travel distance? (My smooth rod solution is only capable of the outlined area of the bed). Have you increased the heater area to make use of that full distance?
    • If I choose not to jump on the initial production run, will these kits be available later?
    For everyone else, I've been printing with my smooth rod upgrade for about a month now and it is worth it. Print my version or buy this. Trust me. Seriously. Do it.

2 people like this.
  18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I know some of these:

- They're pushing out matter control which has software bed compensation. They seem confident in this direction
    - They're using 6 high power magnets.
    - Some people stick their prints + bed in the fridge/freezer to remove it from the plate. Or you can have easier access to wipe it down with alcohol.
    - y travel is the same as before.

19. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

• Matter control is still rather immature, isn't it? Bed level compensation will be a big deal in the future but I'm a little concerned about it right now. I'm also a bit concerned that non-precision screws will negatively affect print quality.
    • OK, but how are you supposed to remove the bed if it has the heater stuck to it? Last time I checked, the heater wasn't wireless! There's still only one bed plate, right? There's not a heated plate with a glass plate on tip of it?

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd assume they'd include the clip connectors they show in the new video. That way you can unclip the bed when needed.