1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3Dv6 Replacement for Hexagon Hotend

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Ok I see so I just got the wrong board, do I just disconnect the pi board from the control board and put my usb cable in there or is there a 2nd usb port on the control board I plug into? And all this should be done with the printer powered on correct?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Power off (and unplug the power brick from the printer). Unplug the pi from the control board, plug the computer in.
    When you connect the ARDUINO IDE just tell the software it is an Arduino Mega board and set the serial port correctly.

You may not need to plug the printer back in, see if it will connect without it. If you do just unplug everything again when done and then reconnect as normal.

3. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Awesome thanks for your help Mark!

4. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Ok I think I got it, I changed sensor 0 from 1 to 5, then I did the verify/compile and it processed and said compile complete, then I did upload and it completed. Hopefully I changed it in the right spot, is there a way to check and verify the change stuck? Or would the printer give an error if it had the wrong sensor connected?

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No error, just read the incorrect temperature. Since this is not a changeable variable after compilation there really is no way of reporting which thermistor table is being used.

6. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

How do I read the temp/verify the temp Im seeing in octop and the printer screen is correct?

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Use an instrument to measure it. that is the only true way. If you change the source and recompile and reupload then you have to trust that the compiler did the right thing, otherwise all is lost.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Contact pyrometer on the heater block will get you the data or ... if you are careful a laser one.

9. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Oh ok I see, I got a laser somewhere going to see if it actually will read that high of a temp.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck, I tried with the laser one and it is a bit of a hassle to try and actually get an accurate reading.

11. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Yea I don't think the laser is a good tool to use for this, it's odd there is no way to verify what thermistor profile the printer is using.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Many Marlin features that are set in Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h have no feedback and assume you know what you are doing.

13. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Hopefully I did it correct. Is this the spot where I was supposed to make the change?

[​IMG]

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes that is the spot

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Cool thanks!

16. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Should work nice on C2 or R2

18. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Nice! Has anyone tried this out?

I've had one too many problems with the Hexagon, and the Robo-specific parts (like the heatblock) are a pain to get... After once again getting a clog that required me to disassemble the whole thing, and following that up by stripping out the thread in the heatblock simply by screwing in the heatbreak, I've decided not to invest any more money or effort in the Hexagon and move over to E3D instead.

This mod looks like an easier solution than modding the V6 (like Larry Garrido did) or making a destructive modification to the R2 itself (like I believe @WheresWaldo did).

There's also this other mod, which was meant for switching out a broken IR board, but should work with the stock one.

I don't mind losing a bit of Z height, so which mod do you think I should go for?

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@sgomes personally I think I would do the extruder reprint that @Larry Garrido posted a couple of posts above yours. Make sure your printer is very precise . My guess is ABS or Nylon would be the filaments of choice for this but without testing it myself, that is just a guess. That mod seems the least objectionable and the most reversible.

sgomes and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I doubt it would really matter if it were PLA, but probably like yourself I would just use a Nylon and avoid the question :)

sgomes likes this.