1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

$2 Thrift Store Spool Holder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by KellywithaY, May 31, 2017.

1. KellywithaY

KellywithaY New Member

I'm not a fan of the spool holder that comes with the Robo 3D R1+. I'm also not a fan of any of the replacement spool holders I printed out and tested.

However, I am a fan of thrift stores. While cruising through one Friday, I found the perfect spool holder: a free standing, metal toilet paper stand with magazine holder. I plan on converting the magazine holder into some sort of tool box thing. Right now I'm just basking in my own genius.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

m4r1n5 and Geof like this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL I love that. Great idea. Print a little box to push into the bottom and you've got your tool storage! Awesome! Be curious to see if the spool walks off the other side or not? (maybe print a stop that pushes onto the outsides of the spool holding portion?

m4r1n5 likes this.
  3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

It looks like a good idea. I wonder if that thing will support a rolling spool without tipping over over long use. How is it so far since you've been using it?

4. KellywithaY

KellywithaY New Member

So far so good! I've done overnight prints and have had no problem. It probably would hurt to put a weight or something in the caddy just in case.

Geof likes this.
  5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

You could store some filament rolls in the caddy to weigh it down.