1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Ramps 1.6 board with a TFT35 onto an R1 plus.

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by BrooklynBay, Apr 7, 2018.

1. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I would like to know if a Ramps 1.6 board could be used to upgrade from a Ramps 1.4 in the Robo 3D R1. Here's a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273027430202. The next question is about using a TFT35 touch screen. Here's a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/272993734745. The seller has no idea about any of these things. They just sell the products, and don't have any technical information about them. Do I need to edit the firmware or are these things plug & play?

According to several listings with the TFT28 & TFT32, it says that they don't require firmware modifications if they work with the Ramps 1.4 board. I couldn't find any information about the TFT35. Those smaller screens list several features such as low filament pause, power outage print recovery, an option to connect to a WIFI board, customized screen icons, etc. Do those screens have all of these things built in or does it require a separate Raspberry Pi (or is one already integrated into it)?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Never heard of one, but looking at it I would say it is a minor change to the existing RAMPS layout so probably fine to use.

I would imagine not. If you use standard stepper drivers you should be fine.

As for the LCDs I have not played around with anything other than the RepRap Discount, the Full Graphics and the LCD/Pi modification to work like the R2/C2 (see the other thread on this).

Some LCDs are already predefined in Marlin and just need to have the configuration file edited to get them going (the Full Graphics controller is that way).

3. BrooklynBay

Thanks for your reply. I wonder why Robos don't already come with a Ramps 1.5 or 1.6 board if it's the next upgrade from the 1.4 board. From the photos in that listing, it looks like the 1.5 board has low profile mosfets without heat sink tabs (no way to dissipate heat), and the 1.6 board has one long aluminum heatsink.

From what I've read about the TFT28 & TFT32, they should be set up in Marlin so that it doesn't need any editing. I don't know about the TFT35 since this is the first time that I've seen it.

On a side note, is there any benefit to using a faster USB port on the computer such as a USB 2.0 or 3.0 instead of a USB 1.1 to run Matter Control on the R1 plus? The baud rate of an Arduino is in kb compared to mb of the USB on the computer. My printer slows down every time another program is running or even if I choose a layer view instead of a regular 3d view, and messes up the layer adhesion. It only happens when I use older desktop computers to run the R1 plus, and doesn't happen when I use a netbook or a tablet. Another possibility is that the netbook or tablet use a solid state drive compared to a desktop machine with a magnetic hard drive which is slower.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Maybe it adds nothing from a practical standpoint. I have never used one other than the 1.4 RAMPS at least and it supports everything in general that the printer is capable of.

Faster USB may help to a point, the Arduino can only support 2.0 so anything faster than that is moot.
    There are a number of LCD screen types supoprted by Marlin, but many of them require changing the configuration.h file and recompiling then reloading to the Arduino.

Geof likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@BrooklynBay the screen you point to (regardless of reseller it is made by Makerspace in China) works because it has its own firmware on board. there are no settings involved other than on the TFT itself. It has a config.txt file that can change some of the parameters as outlined in their documentation (Google it for yourself) There are even alternative sets of icons that can be loaded (another Google search for you to do). You cannot modify the layout, but there is one page of the screen where you can add buttons and macros associated to those buttons.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

One more thing, there is no official RAMPS 1.5 or 1.6 boards, those are vendors that are making small modifications to the existing RAMPS 1.4 boards, in this case the modifications are evident MOSFETS and Heatsink over them.

7. BrooklynBay

Thanks for your help. It looks like these things are plug & play. I wonder why they aren't more popular since other screens require firmware editing. I didn't see a case that I could print for the screen listed on Thingiverse for this model. They have cases for the smaller TFT28 & TFT32. Could you recommend a link with a case (possibly made for another type of screen which will fit)?

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not really, and I have one of the 3.2 screens sitting in my junk box, somewhere. It is okay but not great. I posted a thread a long time ago when I had the TFT28 screen and even created a set of icons for it, but others have better sets. There is no way to modify the firmware in any significant manner and the text displayed is incorrect in a few places. In order to get the spelling right you have to HEX edit the firmware. Way too much work for the little benefit you get out of the touchscreen.

9. BrooklynBay

I could probably find a case for the smaller version, and scale it up to fit this version. Did you design your own case for the two that you have?

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I had one but never used it, scrapped the project altogether and went with a setup using Octopi and a Raspberry Pi instead.

Geof likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As a follow-up here is a picture to illustrate the differences:

RAMPS compare.jpg

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Please note, RAMPS versions beyond 1.4 are designed and built by specific vendors and were not designed by reprap and could claim to be closed source. Of course it isn't in their best interest to build it out of spec, so they are usually 100% RAMPS 1.4 compatible.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. BrooklynBay

I don't know if there is a diagram to identify the pin out of these aftermarket boards. Some pins have marks on the board to explain what they do.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

All three of those boards have the same pinouts, 1.4, 1.5, & 1.6

16. BrooklynBay

How much different is the layout of the pin configuration compared to the RAMPS 1.4 which comes with the R1 plus?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

well reading the link provided "The layout of the RAMPS 1.5 is virtually identical to that of the RAMPS 1.4. The only real difference between the two are the MOSFETs and the fuses"

There you go.
    The 1.6 is not specified by RepRap so no clue on what else might have been done.

18. BrooklynBay

Thanks for posting the link about the RAMPS 1.4.2.3 which I haven't seen until now. It also mentions how to set up a Bluetooth connection instead of using a USB cable. Does anybody on this site have their system set up with Bluetooth?

Attached Files:

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The R1+ isn't a 1.4 board. Its one of those vendor changed undocumented boards (Robo had them custom made) if you want to use a standard 1.4...or .5.... or .6 It will wire up the same as the thread on converting to a generic ramps thats on the forum somewhere. the R1+ pinouts/locations are slightly modified for whatever reason but nothing software wise, everything is just in a different location/labeled differently.