1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered cant seem to get decent prints all of the sudden

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Marc Meyer, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Marc Meyer

Marc Meyer New Member

im using simplify3d with robo r1+ and i cant get any good prints. are there any great starter settings that give decent prints i can work off of? im using 1.75 pla temps attempt at 210 to 230 even lowered the 1.75 down to 1.0 and that helps a bit uped the extrusion multiplier to 1.6 layer height .2 top solid layers 8 bottom 8 and outline perimeter shell 4. 40% infill but my test cubes suck and i mean bad. the middle was the best but still have tons of holes in the outer layers

Attached Files:

2. Marc Meyer

Marc Meyer New Member

just fyi im trying matercontrol because i cant get simplify3d to work well at all

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

Have you calibrated your extruder?

WheresWaldo likes this.
  5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Raise the Z axis, heat the nozzle then extrude some filament. Make sure that you get an even flow. You might have a partial clog in the nozzle or in the heat break. It looks stringy like under extrusion. Is the filament feeding easily or binding slightly? Did you clean the hobbed bolt?

6. Marc Meyer

Marc Meyer New Member

not sure how to do that so i guess not. how do i go about that?

7. Marc Meyer

Marc Meyer New Member

when i manually feed filament comes out but usually curles and gets stuck on the tip. sometimes comes out in nice string but doesnt seem to be clogged

8. BrooklynBay

Did you see if this occurs with another filament? Did you leave the roll of filament in a damp location?

9. Marc Meyer

Marc Meyer New Member

ill order another roll to check but no its a very dry area no dampness but like i said ill check and order some more it hatchback but do you have any other brand suggestions

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have used the cheapest junk I could buy and it all worked OK for PLA. :)
    The Robo (R1 at least) is quite tolerant of junky filament. If it can melt it, it can print it

For nylon and other more specialized filaments (i.e. like woodfill) I would suggest just buying the brand names (Taulman, Colorfabb, etc) since those are often junk when you get the cheaper stuff.

11. Marc Meyer

Marc Meyer New Member

cool thanks ill order some more maybe i got a bad batch or something cuz it seems this roll sucks

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. BrooklynBay

Try to warm it up to get rid of any moisture.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

While this is a good idea in general, the prints he posted do not look like they were printed with "wet" PLA. They look .. screwed up in more major ways :) Wet PLA causes surface defects which affect the visual side of things (it will look a bit rough on the outer layer) but structurally it will be fine. For example if you used a translucent filament, then printing it with wet PLA will result in tiny steam bubbles inside the layers that can be seen up close visually.

Temperature or extrusion rate or just bum filament are more likely with those results he posted.

14. Marc Meyer

Marc Meyer New Member

ill do a test print in the am with some other filaments and see how it is because im startin to think its the filament havent gotten any good prints since switching. but i thought hatchbox was a decent brand. maybe just a bad roll all my prior prints were smooth and nice made a badass thor hammer for my first print and it turned out wonderfully so ill let you guys know tomorrow if switching helped.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is more likely a bum spool than a brand issue. I have used some of the cheapest stuff available (no-name filament from eBay even) and that works generally :)

16. Marc Meyer

Marc Meyer New Member

looks like ill have over .5kg of welding and filler filament lol

17. Marc Meyer

Marc Meyer New Member

so tried a quick cube and same results im fresh out of ideas idk what changed i was gettin good prints now im not. changed to an old spool i was using that had a little left and same crappy results. ugh hellllp ill try to post my exact settings but i have even uninstalled mattercontrol set everything to default with exception of z offset and still blah prints that look worst then the best in pics. any ideas??

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, is there anything else you have done in the process and forgotten to mention? Something done to the printer? Firmware update maybe? Out of the cubes you posted in the OP some just look like they were extruded too hot and perhaps with some over-extrusion. It doesn't really look like a slicer issue. Try seasoning the hotend if you haven't already done that recently.

19. BrooklynBay

Is the small hotend fan working which blows on the heatsink (the left side fan)? Somebody once suggested to me as part of basic maintenance while using a lot of PLA filament to occasionally dip the PLA in corn oil to lubricate the passage in the hotend.

20. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

I second an oiler. To me PLA needs it.