1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R1+ owner - is it worth to switch to an R2?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Marco Rios, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Marco Rios

Marco Rios New Member

Hello, I own an R1+ and I have been considering to switch to an R2.

Are there any advantages on this?

My R1 was recently upgraded to an E3D V6.

Thank you.

By the way, if I decide to buy it, I can get the R2 for $1200 instead of the retail $1499, with the trade up.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Marco.
    I enjoy my R1 and my R2. Personally my preference is the R1 (was my first "pre assembled" machine) so that series has a soft spot in my heart...and thousands of hours....the R2 has been performing pretty well with a few hiccups here and there (this was original R2- it now has their upgraded V2 bed which took care of alot of problems). Its completely and utterly up to you. The X and Y are 196mm on the R2, which is a bit smaller than the R1 but you have a higher Z and a gantry style machine is preferred for accuracy IMO, though the R1 series tuned does just fine.

In the end its all about what you want. IMO I would not trade my R1 series (any of them) for 300.00 off an R2, I'd buy the R2 (on sale is 1250) and keep my R1 machines, but I'm odd like that ;)

3. Marco Rios

Marco Rios New Member

Thank you for your very thorough reply. I really like my R1. I just put an E3D V6 hot end on it. May I ask you for some tips on what works for you on fine tuning it? Thank you.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sure thing. Shoot me a PM so we dont drag out this thread and we can talk about it.

mark tomlinson likes this.