1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

I upgraded to Marlin 1.1.7 following this thread on my R1+, all seems to work, except that my Z axis seems to be out of whack.
    If i tell Mattercontrol to move the Z axis 10mm, it only moves about 5mm.
    Printing a test piece that is 10mm tall, comes out at 5mm (with various skipping filament).
    I dont have an LCD or anything, and besides an E3D extruder the printer is stock.

Any suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Already
    Already replied in other thread. No need to double post.

3. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Sorted, seems i have an R1 not an R1+ so had the wrong Z axis rod settings.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Sorin Mihai

Sorin Mihai New Member

Hi,
    Could you please help me with a few answers?
    I have a R1 with a E3D V6 extruder, the rest is stock, no LCD.
    -What is the latest release that I can compile for my R1?
    -Could you please give me a link where I can find the modifications in the code that I need to do for the E3D?
    -Do I need to do a bed levelling from the code and how to do that if I do not have an external controller?

Thank you in advance for your understanding!

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. Sorin Mihai

Sorin Mihai New Member

Hi Mark, thank you for your help.
    In the last week, while trying to make my R1 print again, I have realised some important facts:
    -my printer does not have Z probes
    -how would I know if I have metric rods or not
    -how to get my steps / mm for my printer
    I am sure I made a wrong comment or similar when I updated the firmware to Merlin 111_ABL_R1, since my printer it changes the Z value during the same layer even with 5 mm. And also, if I want to manually move the hotend on Z axis with 1 mm, works fine, but if I want to move it 10 mm it will move 2-3mm and then makes a ugly noise.
    if necessary, I can put images with details about my printer if my description was not clear.
    Please, help me print again!

Thank you!

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I assume you mean it does not have two Z switches. The extruder is the Z probe.

You can count the number of threads per inch and get a pretty good idea, but the sure way is the get a NUT and try to thread it on the rods. When you try the correct one it will work.

That means that you are eitehr driving it to an physical stop and then trying to go further (which can happen if you HOME switches are not working correctly.) or it means something is blocking the travel ... wires maybe.

Yes, please do. Start a new thread for that, don't do it here in the Marlin thread.

8. SSDriver02

SSDriver02 New Member

I'm only seeing files for 1.1.1 not 1.1.7. Am I missing something?

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

10. SSDriver02

SSDriver02 New Member

WOW. Thank you so much. The UBL works great. Its the first time I was actually able to get this spool holder(takes up entire bed) to print properly on the first layer. My bed is so warped it would hit and not put out any filament in multiple spots and then drop filament down from above in others. Thank you.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@SSDriver02

To be honest, version 1.1.8 works even better. Since my R1 has been boxed up for some time I do not do any updated firmwares for that series of printers. If anyone wants to know how to get 1.1.8 running and is willing to maintain that code (it is basically making changes to Configuration.h, not coding) I would be happy to explain how to do it.

12. Scott Tobin

Scott Tobin New Member

If you could explain 1.1.8, that would be great.

13. wmlowder

wmlowder New Member

What's involved in getting a new release up and running? Is it just doing a diff on the old configuration.h vs the new configuration.h and making sure the Robo-specific settings are passed on to the new one? If so I may attempt going from 1.1.7 to 1.1.9, since 1.1.9 is supposedly the final release.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

More or less :) That pretty much is it. Transfer old setting and update any new ones

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yep and then making sure it compiles properly. Make sure you have the latest Arduino IDE installed and for file compares I generally use Compare It!

Also it pays to register for a GITHUB account, it makes it much easier to clone the Marlin fork as well as keep it updated.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I should also mention, every firmware I have modified for the R1 has been commented with either [robo] if it is a line that differs from the Marlin defaults and Robo3D changed it or [BH] if it is a line that I changed from either the Robo3D changed lines or the Marlin defaults. Just an FYI Robo does not actually comment most of their code additions or changes, the [robo] comments are ones I found myself. These are the files you will need to compare against newer versions of Marlin.

Configuration.h
    Configuration_adv.h
    Version.h
    pins.h

and I added three files that follow the format of other files:

_Bootscreen.h
    pins_ROBOMB.h
    pins_ROBOC2.h
    Feel free to use them any way you see fit. In general I submit to new formats for Marlin, for example if Marlin developers change the order certain lines of code are in then I will make sure my changes are in the new spots for those adjustments. That makes it much easier to move forward. Marlin developers have made quite a few code clean-up changes since 1.1.6 so this is not a trivial matter.

17. SSDriver02

SSDriver02 New Member

Great information. Thank you

18. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

I dont normally post to forums for help so this is a little new for me, if i dont supply enough info let me know. the reason im writing this is after installing one of your firmwares "111 abl plus" with the 16 point leveling, the problem im having is before updating to it my z offset was about -1.65 and after installing i have to set the offset to somewhere between -10-15 just to get it off the bed and not jam. i am familiar with arduino coding but by far no expert is there something im missing in the firmware i should be changing? other than that everything else seems fine its just giving me issues with zero'ing in my z offset, at one point it would try to print with the switches fully extended even with m851 z-5.0
    also some of you guys make some great writeups thanks for that

EDIT: I completely forgot i am getting a lot of communications timeouts which typically happened before only after pid tuning etc

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@slider240sx Please use the latest version 1.1.1 is very old and there is a version newer than that. We cannot help with old deprecated versions of the firmware. Also double check that you are using a baud rate of 250000 as that is the Marlin default and Robo printers have no issues communicating at that speed.

You can find the latest Marlin version 1.1.9 modified for the R1 series in this thread http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/marlin-1-1-9-release-for-robo-r1.22329/

20. slider240sx

slider240sx New Member

oh wow i had no idea someone updated that release thanks for the link