1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D V4 Dual cooling mod

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by tonycstech, Feb 2, 2014.

1. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

6 people like this.
  2. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

So im still on the steep part of the learning curve!

I have now dropped my fan down to 10% as I was just getting flared corners etc

So when would you need more cooling? Even dual cooling?!

If you were printing a thin tall detailed part you wanted to stabilise it as the layers get higher would this be an example of when cooling would help?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

3. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Sometimes more cooling on pla will help reduce curling on the edges. Its still hot when it curls

4. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

yes.
    Small parts need faster cooling.
    Parts that are tall and thin need fast cooling, otherwise they gonna get pushed around..
    It also helps to harden bridges quicker when they get built. (bridges are lines that go straight across empty space, created as support for upper layers )

You will find it useful when u start printing weird parts such as:
    [​IMG]
    BTW this is wire holder that mounts on top of extruder.
    Its in my thingiverse link below.

2 people like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Used that fan mount when I did the E3D upgrade. Works well and looks just about like the original.

6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

OOPS
    Thought u were talking about the extruder wire holder :confused:
    My original fan started to rattle already so i ordered a new one.
    Didnt replace it but 2nd fan inspired me to create dual cooling setup.
    Not only that, but now you have front and back mounts, so if u dont want to use both, use one you want :)

7. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Ok so getting a little more into this, in my (novice) experience i would have all sorts of trouble printing the object @Tonycstech put up if i had the fans on form the start but i can defiantly see that i would need it for the tall thin upright... so how do i modify the Gcode to add in the fan settings after layer 212 (with my current profile)

8. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

You can use my program called G-Code modifier :)
    http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4185-tweak-at-layer-number-windows-application/
    If you use Repetier, there are few steps required to do this.
    If u use CURA, there are no extra steps, just export the g-code and edit it in my program or use CURA plugins to make changes to at height.
    My program is to add changes to layers instead of calculating height, its much easier that way caz u can see exactly where u want that change to take place.

If u use repetier, you absolutely must open slic3r settings and enable Verbose G-code in the Output options
    Then re-slice your model and export g-code NOT AS A JOB but you have to export it from Repetier G-Code editor tab by clicking "Save" icon in the G-Code editor tab.

Good luck

9. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Thanks ill have a play tomorrow!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

10. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I really like this design and have been using it with my Hexagon as it's the only fan bracket that has enough clearance. Anyway, on the weekend i set up a second fan on the front and spliced it into the same power lead but I'm having issues with the fans, or one fan, not spinning up at < 40% speed and at 100% one fan slows intermittently and they don't seem to be spinning as fast as they should. They're 12v 0.1amp 9 blade and not the same brand as the default fan. Any ideas?

11. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

dont connect fans in chain, connect them straight to wires instead of one after another.
    both of my fans work fine.
    fans.jpg

2 people like this.
  12. Galaxius

I have them connected as per your good diagram. I'll try using a thicker lead wire incase it's a poor connection at the terminal since I used a lead wire that's only fractionally thicker that what's on the fans, which I would think should be fine.

13. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Try them individually. If both work fine then they should work fine together.

14. Galaxius

Here's the verdict. One fan stops working depending on it's orientation, so it's faulty. I also noticed that they're 7 bladed fans, not 9 bladed as ordered, so they don't have the same airflow as the stock 9 bladed fan. I've contacted the supplier to try get this resolved, otherwise I'll be ordering some the same brand as the stock fan from ebay. The threaded z axis rods they supplied were also bent *sigh* and micro switches stiff with a large activation area. :(

15. Vkial

Vkial Member

Hello,

I up this thread because i'm doing the same mods on my robo3d but with the e3dv6.

I have a several question to ask :

- What type of fan did i must to buy i think there is 40mm 12v 0.16amp right ?

- Did you think that is btter to buy 2 new fan and installed it on the robo ?

- For the wiring it's possible to wire the second fan directly on the board ? I think this easy and better for the wire.

Thanks a lot