1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hatchbox Wood PLA

Discussion in 'Filament' started by drbanks, Jun 13, 2018.

1. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

So, I'm most of the way through a kg spool of the hatchbox wood. It's been... different.

I've mostly been printing in rather large layers (.30 or maybe .20) and getting decent enough results. One thing I have noticed is the stuff just doesn't like hanging out in the nozzle at all. Basically, if the nozzle is at temperature and it isn't busy laying down filament, whatever's in there is just going to come out of the nozzle, and do so more quickly than with any other filament I've ever used.

I'm using a hardened .40mm nozzle, and because of the oozing, my prints tend to come out fairly stringy and with little bits all over it, but it cleans up very nicely with much better results than I would have expected.

I also spent about a half an hour building up a Simplify3D profile that constantly varies the temperature semi-randomly from min to max, stopping at points between and vice versa, mainly to add a little coloring to the resulting product, sort of like wood grain.

Sitting there, watching it lay the filament down, and cleaning it afterward, it really just strikes me as plastic with little bits of wood in it, but whenever I show the resulting prints to others, they always say "Hey, how'd you print this in wood?"

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Pictures or it didn't happen

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

What he said! And list of the actual settings would be nice.