1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extrusion problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jutte, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Jutte

Jutte Member

I'm having a problem with filament not extruding when printing. I just installed the ruby nozzle and completed a print with it with no problems yesterday. Today, the filament will extrude at the very end of the preliminary swipe across the bed, but not during the actual print. I tried purging via filament loading and unloading and reloading the filament.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It does not use the calculated Z offset for priming stripe it prints.
    So I suspect you need to re-run the Z offset wizard and the fine-tuning wizard to account for the new nozzle.

3. Jutte

Jutte Member

I did perform a z offset after installing the new nozzle and as I said I successfully printed something with it yesterday. Today I couldn't get the filament to feed during a print.

4. Jutte

Jutte Member

Oops! Just realized this should be in the R2 section, not C2.

5. Jutte

Jutte Member

So I cleaned out the nozzle, calibrated the bed again, and was able to start printing again except that I'm getting bad quality prints now. This is a very rainy period in Florida and even with A/C running all day the humidity is around 46%. I store my filament in an airtight bin at 15% to 18%. How long does it take for filament to absorb enough moisture to make bad prints? The first ones I made with this filament a few days ago were great, now lots of gaps and globs. I'm thinking I will need to dehydrate any filament that has been exposed longer than 3 days. Thoughts?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Assuming it was new/good filament when you bought it and unsealed it -- weeks if not months. I am over in Orlando so the humidity is similar :) I store mine in a box with desiccant when not in use.

7. Jutte

Jutte Member

Note to self DO NOT replace the magnetic logo over the hot end until you have verified that it isn't leaking. That's the real reason for the bad quality prints I'm getting. What a mess.

Geof likes this.
  8. Jutte

Jutte Member

Got a new thermistor under warranty and after several tries and cleanings I finally got the hotend to stop leaking. The flats on the threaded shaft coming from the heatbreak have gotten rounded in the process, so next time I need a new nozzle I will probably have to replace that.

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont believe you can buy anything for the hexagon (other than nozzle, thermistor and heater). You'll likely need to replace the hotend.