1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D hot end upgrade problems

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by sseaman, Jul 29, 2018.

1. sseaman

sseaman New Member

I know there is an already very detail filled thread on the forum. But I've run into a problem and not even scouring through the thread helped.

I just got through putting my hot end together but I am still unsure about the wiring, my main concern is wiring the heater cartridge back to the ramps board. The one that came with my E3D hotend has two prongs on the end. I thought I am supposed to plug it into D9 on the ramps board but I'm still unsure if that is correct.

Another issue I'm also having is that I cannot get my hot end to stay using the newly printed quick release. It just kinda hangs there and is not stable. I tried sanding it down to make room but it's still not on there tight enough, is there something I'm doing wrong or is there a better option to keep my hot end firmly in place.

I would appreciate any help to solve this as I am at my wits end trying to get everything set up.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you show a photo or video of what you mean on the hot end. Heater goes into the same place the original came from. Polarity doesn’t matter

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to replace the R1+ quick release bar. Here is a printed one you can use:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1192896

Geof likes this.
  4. sseaman

sseaman New Member

Here is an image of the ends, I'm just trying to make sure I'm putting these two ends where the original heater came from. Is it d9 on the ramps board?

Attached Files:

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not familiar with seeing the crimps on the ends of the heater? If your machine is an R1+ and has not had the board changed to a generic ramps then yes you are after D9. One in each port (there are two of them) There are some pictures in this thread that walk you through it. if you have a generic ramps board (not the robo custom one, read the instructions because I'm pretty sure Robo moved it on their board.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Those crimps are just to keep the wire end from fraying. They are a good idea and you just stick those in the power connector in any manner you wish, one to positive one to negative. There is no real plus/minus on cartridge heaters, they are a purely resistive load and they work regardless of which way the current is flowing.