1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

2 Robo 3d R1 + running off same iMac ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Saor_Alba, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Saor_Alba

Saor_Alba New Member

Does anyone run multiple printers off the same PC or do you recommend using different Computers ?

Im running 2 matter control windows one for each printer and curious if I will run into any performance issues , I can run second printer from my MacBook but would prefer to keep them on the same PC

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Run as many as you want from the same PC. Or switch to OctoPi (one per machine) and use a browser :)

WheresWaldo likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dont run connected and unless my machines come with octo I dont add it. I add the old "generic" SD controllers and walk the SD card to the machine- no computer- no loss of communication randomly.

(I know right! Walking SD cards like were caveman-but it works;) )

4. AJB3

AJB3 New Member

5. AJB3

AJB3 New Member

I've got 2 R1+ on a Linux machine and it's been somewhat messy. I gave up direct connect and SD cards a long time ago and use Octoprint or astroprint on dedicated Raspberries. Actually just got the second machine about week ago. The biggest issue is that the z-offset on the second machine was incorrect (too low). It's correctable in Matter Control (and probably other slicers) but not in the machine's firmware so it has to be handled in the G-code. As far as I can tell that's only possible when directly connected. In any case I can't keep different versions ( printer specific) of the G-code, it would be a configuration management nightmare. My current approach is to put a "set z offset code", M851, in the before printing (that may not be the exact name) script under tools in Octoprint. So: one computer, two printers, two raspberrys with different scripts. A $5.00 Pi Zero Wireless runs fine though I don't stream video. BTW, everybody should make donations to whatever "free" software one is using.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

mine are paid for unless they come with the machine in which case the OEM should be taking care of the bills of their suppliers, I'd caution against those types of opinions as some people get quite upset when being told what to do with their money :D .

Z offset issue:
    [Unless your running a non stock version the Z offset would be adjusted in the slicer under start up scripts.

G28 ; home all axis
    M565 Z-X.XX ; Set offset -x.xx is variable
    G29; autolevel dance

If what your doing is working that is great, but this is the "most accepted" z offset adjustment. You may have alot more in your start up script or even less than mentioned, its all variable based off what works best for your situation and personal wants.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bingo. :)

Geof likes this.