1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

HDMI screen on C2 ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by YannickLeMulot, Aug 27, 2018.

1. YannickLeMulot

YannickLeMulot New Member

Hello everyone,

Just a small question out of curiosity here, not a big issue.
    Has anyone a touchscreen that is connected via HDMI cable, like me ? I was sent a new screen (the old one didn't work) and I had to unscrew the fan inside the printer to access the HDMI connector on the Raspberry Pi. I also cannot put back the plastic cover at the front of the printer, because it wasn't designed for an HDMI screen. So my screen lies outside of the printer and the cables are all around.

My question is, is there any plastic cover suited for the HDMI screen on the C2 ?
    As I said, this is nothing really functionally important, just a minor design issue :)

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont believe the C2 was a HDMI. The R2 is. Did you perhaps get the wrong screen? I'd 100% reach out to Robo about it to get to the bottom of it. I could see that being a pain to modify the case enough to get it working.

3. YannickLeMulot

Thanks for your answer. They had to do a mistake when sending me the new screen, maybe they sent me the R2 screen instead of the C2 screen, maybe.

But I don't think it's really the case, because they purposely sent me a new firmware to install on the C2, and there was "HDMI" and "C2" in the file name.

And my printer works really fine with this screen too ! The only weird stuff is that I had to unscrew a fan inside and that I cannot mount the front cover. But hey, it's a good opportunity to design and print a new cover to hold the screen and the cables ! If I do that, I'll share the result and the STL files here :)

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If thats the case then they must have updated to a new revision screen (GOOD THING). But they must have a solution for the outside bezel (front case I assume your speaking about- maybe post some photos?) I'd certainly reach out and ask them what "changes" this new screen provides. My hope is capacitive :D

5. YannickLeMulot

Yes I can post pictures, I'll do it when I'm back home from work (in 5-6 hours) ! I don't think that's a capacitive screen because it looks the same as the old screen except the HDMI port, but now you've made me doubt... I'll try to use it with gloves to check that haha (keep in touch...)

Geof likes this.
  6. YannickLeMulot

I'm stupid, I forgot I used it also with the plastic pencil, so it's a resistive screen... :D

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  7. YannickLeMulot

Here are images of the printer with the HDMI screen. As you can see, my HDMI cable (which is too long, it wasn't provided with the printer) lies outside, and the USB connector isn't held, also :

Imprimante-10.jpg

Here you can see the fan that I had to unscrew (from the bottom of the printer) lying in the middle of the hardware, to give space to the HDMI connection on the Raspberry Pi :

Imprimante-20.jpg

Edit : Note that the screen is also connected with the other grey cable (what's the name of this cable ??), otherwise it doesn't work.

8. YannickLeMulot

Here is a comparison between the back of the old screen and the back of the new one :
    (New one with HDMI on top)

Screens.jpeg

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Do you need the HDMI or is that a choice you made?
    The C2 screens I have don't need the HDMI they get everything over the ribbon cable (including the power to turn the screen on which is why you still need it). Notice how the new one has an HDMI micro port labeled power only? You could use that for power and the HDMI for video, but then the touchscreen part I am not sure on.

The R2 screens are larger so if you got one of those you would know :)

Frankly it doesn't matter if you can make the HDMI cable fit then it is a better solution.

I am guessing the sourced the screens from a different source or went with a slightly different model that would still work.

#9 mark tomlinson, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  10. YannickLeMulot

The story is, the normal C2 screen (the non-HDMI you see on the bottom of the previous image) didn't work at all, it displayed properly but was totally unresponsive to touch.

So I contacted the support to solve this issue :

1. They sent me a new firmware ; it didn't change anything

2. They sent me a new screen ; I just discovered that it was different from the original one, it had HDMI port, I wondered why...

3. I tried to connect this new screen not using the HDMI ; didn't work. I tried different combinations of connections ; also didn't work.

4. I recontacted the support, asking what I was supposed to do with this screen ; they sent me a new firmware again, this time specifically for the HDMI screen

...And finally it worked!

I never asked for this special screen, I was sent it by the support.

#10 YannickLeMulot, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  11. YannickLeMulot

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Interesting then I guess we can assume they have sourced different screens now.
    It would be interesting (but not vital) to see what newer C2 units are getting built with.
    Are they still using the old style or have they converted them to HDMI as well?

When we built the barbot project (under the R1 projects thread) we used the 5" version of this screen that the R2 uses and it works pretty well (also touch screen, but uses a specific driver).

YannickLeMulot likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. YannickLeMulot

Interesting, thanks for the info!

I must admit that it was really confusing for me to receive this screen without any instructions on how to install it. I could figure out myself, but not sure that someone with no technical background at all would have figured it out (I'm saying this because this printer is sold as intuitive and user-friendly)

#14 YannickLeMulot, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As soon as you have to tear one apart (not just Robo either) that goes right out the window :)

YannickLeMulot likes this.
  16. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The FAQ now lists the source for the HDMI cable which fits between the RPi and display screen.