1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

touchscreen stops responding along with octoprint

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sawce_bause, Aug 25, 2018.

1. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

after under a minute of turning on my r2 the touch screen becomes unresponsive.
    i can use the android app to control and print with the r2
    when i try to print using cura and click "send to printer" it just gets stuck and says "Sending data to OctoPrint"
    cura ts.png

if you notice the Job name is "filament _tube_Clips.gcode" (an earlier print i tried to print using the app but had to quit due to bed adhesion issues) but the file i was trying to print in cura is "rr_xyzCalibration_cube"

when i click "open octoprint" im met with this window in chrome

octo ts.png

which looks different from what octo print usually looks like when ive used it in the past

i dont want to just flip the power switch (just in case) in the back since i cant get to the "shutdown screen " on the touch screen since its not responding

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure that the frame of the printer plastic is not touching the touchscreen (look carefully at where it is mounted) since that screen will hang on a fake touch. If it is a bad touch screen get Robo on the horn to order a replacement under warranty. Out of warranty we can show you where to get cheaper replacements (same LCD) however the R2 is a little harder to disassemble to replace it (but we have a thread on it).

3. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

doesnt seem like the frame is touching the screen.

i finally just ended up flipping the power switch on the back as ive had my r2 sitting idle for well 12 hours now.
    when i turn it on the and the homescreen shows up the touch screen works for about 15 seconds then becomes unresponsive. ive tried this about half a dozen times; leave the r2 on for about 30 minutes, flip the power switch, leave it for about a minute, turn it back on, and after the home screen comes on it works for about 10 to 15 seconds and then it becomes unresponsive again.

that said. i still dont understand why i can control the printer with the app but not octoprint

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What happens when you try to use OctoPrint directly from a browser? Just use the IP address of the printer in a browser window yourself. Sounds like something may be misconfigured there and we can probably help you sort that.

5. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

i couldnt control my printer at all with octoprint; it seemed like i could detect a printer since octoprint would pop up instead of "a this site cant reached" message

i tried to use the robo web chat. they pointed me towards a couple of articles

https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002145452-Black-screen-on-start-up
    and
    https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002145452-Black-screen-on-start-up

and now the screen doesnt even turn on, the app doesnt even connect to the printer and now im met with this window when i try to open octoprint

octo ts 2.png

this is starting to get really frustrating as this is already my second r2.
    since i recived my original r2 a couple of my friends have been interested in maybe getting a 3d printer for their classrooms but i cant recommend it quite yet

#5 sawce_bause, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I expect the Raspberry Pi image is flaky. They need to send you a new SD card or you can get an SD card and have them email you a link to your image to reburn it yourself.

Either that or the Pi itself is bad (or maybe a loose HDMI cable from the pi to the LCD

Geof and sawce_bause like this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

2nd the image. They do go bad, make a copy when the new one arrives

sawce_bause likes this.
  8. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

Fingers crossed that it's just the image. Is there a limit on the capacity of micro SD? I noticed the preinstalled card is only 8 gb, and the smallest cards I have are 32gb and up

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

I just noticed the sticky in where an image of the r2's SD card is posted.
    Im an Uber newb when it comes to raspberry pi and Unix
    So can I just format one of my micro sd's, copy the posted image in the sticky on to it and then load it into my r2?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is essentially it. However, Robo wants (in order to maintain your firmware versions etc) to know each printer by a unique name so you want to make sure if you do that to rename the machine/hostname for the Pi to you original one, not whatever is in the image you download. Other than that ... not a problem. You can change the Pi hostname after getting it booted

Geof likes this.
  12. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

sorry you kinda lost me would i be changing the host name on the new micro sd via my pc or r2?
    is there an article on how to do this ?
    ...again sorry for the newby inquiries

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

sawce_bause likes this.
  14. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

thanks,
    looks like it might be a little over my head though. gonna see if robo support can just send me an image for my r2

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They will, either an image you burn yourself or a replacement SD card.

sawce_bause likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been having issues with some users being unable to download the image. If your not confident in your computer set up/download speeds, just request an entire micro SD ready and set up. Then when you recieve it make a back up of the contents so you always have a "ground zero" to start from.

sawce_bause and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

got the new image yesterday afternoon from robert at robo support, and got a couple of test prints out of the way and it looks like everything is up and running again.
    just wanted to say thanks to Mark and Geof as i was able to link support to this thread and know exactly what needed fixing. probably saved two or three days of emailing back and forth to come to the same conclusion you guys came up with here

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you save a copy of your image that works for later use (if no lie and say yes and do it : D) Glad your up and running!

19. sawce_bause

sawce_bause New Member

indeed backed it up in 4 different places just in case. you know the old saying " two is one, one is none";)

Geof likes this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Now I need to go make 3 more back ups! AHHH! :D Good job! :D

sawce_bause likes this.