1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Major Printing Problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by trevely, Oct 23, 2018.

1. trevely

trevely New Member

Hi all,

Any help/guidance, anything will be appreciated if you can help me figure out what is going on with my printer or my prints. I recently had to replace my heated plate cable assembly and I've had a few ok prints since then but now I cannot get one print to finish. The prints seem to be sticking to the bed but it's shifting and that's putting it lightly. I've uploaded a pic to show you what I'm talking about and hopefully it comes through ok so you can see that it's more than a shift, it's almost like it's trying to print two things at once. The pic was a pumpkin I was trying to print. Could it be my printer is going bad? I forgot too mention that I'm using S3D and one of the profiles I found on here, PLA 6.0. Thanks 20181023_165636.jpg

#1 trevely, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

trevely likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the first layer is NOT shifting/coming loose then you have serious issues with the gantry (on the R2) and something is loose in that mechanism.

trevely likes this.
  4. trevely

trevely New Member

Yes this is on the R2.
    The first layer is not coming loose, it's sticking to the bed no problem. I was afraid it would be something like that and I contacted support awhile back about grinding noise when starting a print and how there troubleshooting guide didn't really help at all.
    Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would (if you can) dig around in the gantry and make sure everything is still :
    1) tight
    2) in the correct places

I had a rod come out of the pressed-on fitting to the side of the case (on a C2) and that skewed the entire side of the gantry. It was still workable, but would have weird issues due to binding since it was no longer 'squared'. If it is a gantry issue you can get points where it will block or bind and not be able to travel fully or it will shift positions (since the frame itself will move) and either way your print will be toast.

trevely likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and to be clear -- that is usually caused by it getting damaged in shipment. Unless you use it for a football after you got it there is little chance it happened due to 'use'

trevely likes this.
  7. trevely

trevely New Member

Thanks I will give that a look see as yeah all my prints have been toast.

8. trevely

trevely New Member

I've had it for about 6 months or so and I reported it grinding before prints to Robo support but no real resolution came from it. I can promise you, I haven't been using it as a football but they way it's been going for me lately I might get better use out of it as a football :D:D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you can manually move any of the gantry rods by tugging on them then you have a problem :)
    If you can get the top off then looking down from the top you can usually see if something is out of place and the frame is not square.
    It also possible that a bearing in the belt holders (the black boxes that ride on the rails) is seizing up. Try manually (with the power off) sliding the extruder around in the X/Y and see if it feels like it is sticking at some point.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have had a few bad bearings in some of the older Robos, not on the new ones (yet) but they are similar (LM6UU as opposed to LM8UU) and they will certainly eventually fail.

11. trevely

trevely New Member

I would like to thank all of you for your help and suggestions. I had to take it apart as one of the belts was loose and the bearing where seizing up but I think I have it all working properly now as I printed out a test benchy and it came out great.
    Thank you all very much, I appreciate it.

mark tomlinson likes this.