1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Endless problems with C2.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by EvanC2, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you! Please keep us posted. I'm sure we can at least narrow it down to what is causing the issue. Then tackle the touch screen (though they may be related)

EvanC2 likes this.
  2. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Correct. Sometimes its just white.

The ENTIRE C2 has turned off on its own twice that I am certain of.

I have had maybe...15 complete successful prints from this thing. The rest of the time has been troubleshooting and research. Goodtimes with ROBO....

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm hopeful Robo will swap your unit when they pop on and see the troubleshooting thus far. An entire unit shutting down is quite odd. Since you have a new power supply I'd be onboard with @mark tomlinson that its starting to sound alot like a faulty control board or a very odd wiring issue. How strange. Lets keep going on the trouble shooting until we hear from them. The shut down I've experience has been a reboot from the Pi restarting during a print. Is your unit blacking out or restarting?

4. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Man me too. But they stopped responding to me for whatever reason and nobody will answer any more tickets. I am not sure if I offended someone from ROBO in a past life or something. I have begged people on online chat to have someone call me and they won't do it. I just want a unit that works when I turn it on. That's it. At this point if they just send me a unit without a PI, cords or a touchscreen I don't even care if I have to use my own parts as long as I know it will work.

There is an assistive technology in education conference I will be attending in the spring and I am curious what other school districts and educators have had with ROBO. I am not vindictive or one to carry a chip on my shoulder but I am thankful we never bought the STEM package we were looking at.

The shut down issues were before I realized just how much attention I needed to pay to this unit so I can't swear as to what happened.

I *think* they both shut down before I sent a print to the unit. Like I turned it on, started messing with a model...only to realize it was turned off.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is very strange. If it happens again please grab a pic of the power switch and the machine in shut down mode and what you do to bring it back to life.

I know of alot of EDU and the such using Robo printers and typically they are VERY good to them. Its quite sad to hear the experience your having. We can sort it for sure. Hang in there.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Eh, anyone can get a bum unit (I do not know that they test anything before it goes to you, they probably rely on whatever factory Q/C there is). Good news is that :
    1) It is largely still open hardware (the R1 was completely open)
    2) pretty much a workhorse if you can get past any birth defects :)

7. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Right. I mean I did a TON of research before I bought this. I was down to the ROBO and DREMEL DIGILAB. Even checked out the forums here. I am stunned by this big time.

However, I do think most of the people I spoke to were using a R1. I almost bought a couple two days ago when they went to $250 as you "can't let your money get mad". Lemons happen...no hard feelings. I just want this thing to work.

Geof likes this.
  8. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

So far my poor lil C2's birth defects are severe. I will pat its bottom and change its diapers for another week or two before I take a sledgehammer to it.

Geof likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is like 3 bits of electrical / electronic so it is easy to sort if you have the skills :) Frustrating if you are trying to learn it at the same time tho'

We can help you get there.

Geof likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If that does not help plug the pi in to a wall adapter (something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Aukru-Charger-Adapter-Raspberry-Banana/dp/B019SX6RYW). Leave everything else plugged in.

If you STILL get no LCD then disconnect the LCD and (with the pi still powered externally) fire up the printer and see if the OctoPi instance is working and that you can control it from the web interface.

Those steps will tell us a lot.
    It the second step works then You need to triple/quadruple check that the LCD is landed correctly on the Pi I/O pins because if you get that wrong badness will ensue. If that ends up being the case perhaps a photo of how you have the LCD connector on the Pi would be a way for us to make sure it is correct.

#30 mark tomlinson, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Geof likes this.
  11. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Everything turned last night but the touch screen still doesn't work. My concern with this is something is wrong and keeps frying whatever I plug into the C2.

I was able to get into OCTOPRINT as well.

The vast majority of my time with this unit has been unsuccessful troubleshooting. Its clear this thing is a dud. Someone at ROBO please help our school out!

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Since everything BUT the LCD is working it is hardly a 'dud' you either have a bad Pi or somehow the ribbon cable is getting plugged in wrong. Give me a picture as above so I can see how exactly you are connecting the LCD to the Pi and we can nail this down :)

Better yet a series of photos showing the stuff connected to the Pi and to the LCD if you can.

Just like the LCDs may not be dead the Pi may not either -- both of those parts are really robust and if they die they leak smoke :) If you have not seen smoke they are probably OK.

#32 mark tomlinson, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Geof likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. it is even possible that none of the LCDs are actually 'dead'

and your avenue for directly to Robo is via the phone or email as you were doing before, we are (as I said before) other owners who can probably help you get it working if you can do the work :)

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed. Its so very very easy to be off a pin set on the LCDs or even have one side loose. I'd like to see some photos as well or remove the cable and plub into an old LCD. If the cable itself is bad thats an easy enough fix. 3 LCDS seem very unlikely but it is possible. they are roughly 20 bucks on amazon.

15. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Geof likes this.
  16. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Quick update. Unit plugged in something else. Worked at first now doesn't work. Unit itself didn't turn on yesterday until I tried it again a few times. For sure a power problem. Honestly probably a simple one that is an easy fix for them.

ROBO hasn't returned about a dozen support tickets. They never fixed the correct problem to begin with so they didn't honor their warranty.

I appreciate everyone's help. I have another avenue I am taking to get this fixed and I want thank all of you for the time you took trying to help. Its probably just a simple loose wire in the back. I would have gladly sent this to ROBO for them to look at and probably fix in 5 minutes but that can't be done when they won't reply to tickets. Ugh. Oh well. Glad this happened before we bought the STEM package. I'd rather our school lose out on this than on the big bundle that we are getting from a different company. Horrible experience dealing with them.

Dan I wish you had kept your word. I have been so patient.

"
    Your request (#145929) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

[​IMG]
    Dan (Robo)

Oct 2, 11:18 AM PDT

Hi Evan,

I corrected the issue in our system. I apologize that you are having so much trouble. If this doesn't fix your issues, I will swap your printer for a new one.

I will do everything I can to assist you and your projects there at the non-profit. I admire that very much and would like to be as supportive as possible to your school. I just took a look at it on the web and I give it a full thumbs-up!

We will get a new screen over to you right away. If you continue to have issues, I will send you a new printer. You will get an email confirmation of the order once it processes.

Have a wonderful week

Dan Whitty
    Supervisor"

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey @EvanC2 so sorry to hear of the lackluster service. Are you certain there is nothing we can do to help you get rolling? I shot an email to robo again regarding this thread

18. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

No but I sincerely appreciate it. You have been nothing but generous with your time. I think I am going to gift this to a local MAKERSPACE. Spend my time on something else.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

hey Evan,

Very sorry to hear. The C2 has been a fantastic machine for me. I have mine back at my home shop and can certainly get you some pictures and go over everything with you if you change your mind. Of course if your close enough to make the journey I can swap you my unit for yours so you've got a working unit. Lots of options if you want to cruise down that road with us some more :D

Thanks,
    Geof

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.