1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Using the R1 with Netfabb

Discussion in 'Software' started by AkiraSieghart, Nov 2, 2018.

1. AkiraSieghart

AkiraSieghart New Member

Hi guys,

My roommates and I currently share a R1 Plus printer. We've been using it with Matter Control but I'm looking to make some bigger models that will require printing it in pieces. Since I don't believe Matter Control doesn't supports this naively, I've been looking into other pieces of software that might. I've come across Simplify3D, Netfabb, Cura, and Meshmaker. Poking around online, it generally seemed like Simplify3D is the best, Netfabb is the second best, and then it's up to personal preference for the freeware ones.

I didn't really feel like paying $150 for a license for Simplify3D just to try it but I was able to obtain a free educational license for Netfabb. However, Netfabb doesn't seem to have the R1 listed in the list of supported printers. Is there a plug-in or something or does it need to be custom set? Am I better off using Simplify3D or Cura?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Netfabb is more of a repair tool for your models. Simplify 3D, Cura, Mattercontrol etc are slicers that take your model and convert them to gcode for the printer. You'll likely need both software types :D.

Meshmixer can make custom supports (tons of youtube tutorials on how) that you can then load into mattercontrol and print if you want to. Cura and Slic3r seem to be the heavy favorites for free ones.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can't actually do that with most slicers (MatterControl, Simplify3D, Cura, etc) you need a 3D modeling program to make changes to the model then export it back to an STL which can be sliced and printed.

Model
    Export to STL
    Slice
    Print

If you have a file ONLY as STL and need to make changes you can convert it back to a 3D model, but it will likely not be easy or complete since an STL is the SURFACE of the model only (the printable parts). Slicers generate their own infill to make up for the bare spots inside the model when they slice it.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If a model is too large only in one dimension a trick you can pull is to sink parts of it below the "bed" in the slicers model view.
    Most slicers will simply not slice portions of the model below the "bed" and you can print what is above the bed, flip it and do the same for the previously hidden parts.

Geof and WheresWaldo like this.