1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Connecting Full Graphic Smart Controller

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Knightro2, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knightro2

Knightro2 New Member

Hello all,

I've learned a lot over the past couple of hours on how to upload firmware and such to support a Full Graphic Smart Controller. Firmware side of things I believe I have down but I'm having an issue that I can't find any information about.

I have purchased this board
    [3D CAM] Full Graphic Smart Controller LCD Display for RAMPS 1.4 RepRap 3D Printer Electronics (128 x 64 display with SD card reader)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00THZK5JU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With my controller unplugged from the board my printer will connect to my computer via USB. As soon as I plug in the smart adapter to the board my USB connection closes, meaning I can't upload the firmware with the controller already plugged in. I've edited the firmware (commented out #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER, uncommented #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER, and included the U8GLIB library), uploaded it to the printer, connected the controller but nothing displays. I have verified that EXP1 and EXP2 cables are plugged in correctly on both sides.

Any ideas?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bad graphic adapter. Or somehow when you plugged it in you got one or two pins out of place.
    Either way it is almost certainly the board :)

And, yes, those boards (none of them, not just that brand) are really high quality construction so I have certainly run into a fair number of bad LCD adapters over the years. Dead out of the box.

If the firmware were wrong it would not display anything, but it would not shut everything down.

3. Knightro2

Knightro2 New Member

Pins were one of the first things I checked. I was thinking I may have a bad board.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If the board does not display or the display is garbled it could be that the connectors are keyed backwards. I had one built that way and as soon as I plugged it in the 'other way around' it started working as it should. It is not a common occurrence but is something documented on the reprap forum a couple of years ago. at least that is something to try.

Geof likes this.
  5. Knightro2

Knightro2 New Member

It was a bad board. I ordered another one. Same kind but different vendor. I'm up and working now.
    Thanks.

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.