1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Gaps in a print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JWW, Dec 17, 2018.

1. JWW

JWW Member

What is the cause of these gaps and how do you prevent them?

Thanks,
    -JW:

2018-12-17_17-43-31.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Since that is generated by the slicer you need to look at the slicer settings an I don't know which one you are using.
    Simplify3D I would adjust the “Outline overlap” setting in the process (under the infill section)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is related in some way (with whatever slicer you use) to the extrusion width, the outline and the infill.
    Since none of them are identical in this regard we can only give you generalities until we know which slicer (and then hopefully it is one we are familiar with) :)

4. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks for trying to help Mark. I'm still using Mattercontrol. Ya I know, very few here use it and getting specific help with it is as rare and hen's teeth. I thought about upgrading but only so I can get help. <g> I just didn't want to go through another crazy learning curve.

Cheers,
    -JW:

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I hear you :) sadly in the case of Simplify3D it would totally be that (it is completely different in structure from almost all other slicers and more skin to how the CNC software works).

6. JWW

JWW Member

Not to stray from the thread ... but,

1. How does bed leveling work 'compared' to Mattercontrol (which I do absolutely nothing)?
    2. Is there Robo R1+ pre-configured setup for Simplify3D that can at least get you in the ball park?
    3. Are firmware updates necessary if you use Simplify3D and/OR hacking necessary?

Thanks again ...

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

1. You have to add a line of GCode to the startup GCode block. Here is mine for Simplify (your number after the M565 would be custom to your machine -- more negative is further from the bed. Less negative is closer)

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm this is mostly to give you a chance to clean the nozzle if you want
    M565 Z-0.6 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism to -0.6 mm
    G29 ; run auto-level
    M117 Waiting for extruder to stabilize ; this displays to the LCD
    M109 S[temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait
    M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; tool 0 temp
    M117 Working on Print ; also sent to the LCD

2. Yep, they have a profile for the R1+ :) You pick that when you install/configure and it will remember it. You will probably still want to fine-tune things like the Z offset (the M565)

3. Nope.

#7 mark tomlinson, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  8. JWW

JWW Member

So all I do now (and have done for a couple of years now, maybe longer) is flip the Robo R1+ switch, load a .STL file and hit print. It auto-levels the bed and prints. That's what I'm used to. Naturally there are numerous adjustments you're able to make to manipulate what's being printed in the software. I can live with that, it's just a matter of learning. What I don't understand is if the bed leveling procedure is different than what I'm used to. If you recall, there is no procedure now, for my current setup. I've never experimented with the GCode but I understand the concept. Sorry I don't understand otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If your printer starts a print by doing the 9-point autoleveling bed test ... then nothing new to see here :)
    That will do the same.

For a USB connected printer it is open the program, slice the STL and print it.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a lot of S3D training videos on their site if you want to get an idea, some of them are targeted at people just starting out and others are for advanced topics.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/videos/

While there are things you can do with it that you simply can't do with MatterControl it is not terribly complex for basic usage. No worse than MatterControl at least.

11. JWW

JWW Member

... as always, thanks for your help Mark.