1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Does anyone have a model for the cover of the R2 extruder?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by supercazzola, Dec 26, 2018.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I’m talking about the box-like cover that protects the wires and has the holes in the top where the filament goes through...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Nobody that I'm aware of, should be easy enough to remodel. Can always reach out to Robo to see if they can supply this type of thing.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Missing @Mike Kelly to model the entire R2 just like he did the R1 are we?
    :)

supercazzola likes this.
  4. supercazzola

I wasn’t in the hobby back then. Wish I was. Now, I am not sure I would even put another cent into Robo. Their customer service went to crap, and it takes 3+ days to even get them to email you back when you want to order replacement parts. Forget about speaking to someone on the phone and ordering parts.

Not sure how a company that started out so nicely, lost their focus along the way.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Getting bought up probably didn't help :)

edit: As an owner from the original KS (2013) let me add that things were never better and early on were actually much worse.

6. supercazzola

I know that the dollar drives all decisions in a business. I am not naive, but Robo3d seemed to be different. I guess I was enjoying the freshness of a company like that

7. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

That may be true, but even taking nothing else but money into account, it's shortsighted and suicidal for any company to push customers away through lack of support.

Present dollars matter, but so do future ones. And they sure won't be getting any of the latter from me.

supercazzola likes this.
  8. supercazzola

Agreed, but if you look from where the company was founded, I don’t think they had a lot of experience with running businesses. I may be totally mistaken here, but a couple of college guys with some smart ideas, and a little bit of luck with respect to timing in the release of their product isn't enough... the passion and commitment to customers was what sold me on the company.

But that was then, and this is now. Can't even get them to answer the phone or emails for spare parts.
    I need a machine that can’t be down for weeks at a time.

It looks like my next machine won't be a Robo.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I certainly can relate to your concerns @supercazzola and @sgomes, if it wasn't for this community and people like @mark tomlinson and @Geof I would have left a long time ago. There is nothing compelling about their printer offerings that cannot be found elsewhere.

My own personal opinion is that they have already abandoned the R2/C2 for the "next big thing" as at least visible development appears to be at a standstill. No Marlin development since the beginning of November and their version is currently 3 revisions behind Marlin release. OctoPrint is also behind the current release by several revisions and no insight into RoboOS. The Elite program is dead. Promised accessories were never delivered. Too many compromises made in product development to justify premium pricing.

My next printer will not be a Robo.

#9 WheresWaldo, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That would be nice, whenever I need to print something for the R2/C2 I reach out to customer support and so far they have given me anything I've needed. While I wont be remodeling the entire machine like Mike did I do post (and encourage others) to post anything they create or re create for the R2 :D. Lets hope as things break people do that :D

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Same! While I love my Robo printers and they are work horses, R2/C2 included, its the community that keeps me around (as little as it may be anymore) In fact way back in 2013/2014 when I bought my first R1 series it was because there was a place I could go for help that sold me on the Robo brand. Havent regretted that decision and have learned a ton over the years from this little hang out :D

supercazzola and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, they have been pretty open to this so far and even to releasing improved versions of some parts (which is a smart thing to do).

13. supercazzola

Are they just on Thingiverse, or are there other parts STL that folks have been collecting ?

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Robo endorsed/created parts are on their thingiverse

supercazzola likes this.
  15. supercazzola

Was just curious if someone who got something from Robo directly had the ok to upload them there or two the forums, since some stated when they needed something they got the models from Robo. Maybe I misinterpretted what I read.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the one 3d printed part someone needed that I personally got involved in I modeled one quickly that would work, the modified file for IM that they modified to be 3dp was sent to me and I posted in the thread (somewhere here on the forum). Thats all the more I've needed specifically for the R2

17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I made a new top piece but it was for a modified head using the E3D Titan Extruder. If you model it, even if it is simply reverse engineered, just post it here and on Thingiverse, Youmagine or any of the 3D file repositories that exist on the net.

Geof likes this.